Anybody got an X2 Yet?

MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Thinking about ordering one to play with. Would have already had one if MSI would quite worrying about forum wars and get a bios out for their motherboards.

They are way past slow on this release.

Think it's worth the bucks or a waste of greenbacks?

I just love to play with new tech, but I'm usually pretty "bang for the buck" oriented, but the X2's have given me the bug to waste some money.

Maybe you guys should talk me out of it !!!

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    I thought about it. I could sell a system of mine and still end up using less power and have power production for folding. Maybe wben the X2s come down in prince a little I might sell my 3200+ and other NF7-S system. I see it as a bargain, basically twice the computing power for about 3-4 hundred bucks more.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Missleman, you have read my mind ;D

Temptation is strong. It's new tech and the initial reports/reviews/benches all say it's a stormer. I've seen a 4400+ X2 for just over £400. Getting very tempted! ;D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I agree as this is the strongest showing technolically that I have ever seen for new technology. I have not yet seen one negative thing about any of the new 2x CPU's where normally something this new is flawed and needs a couple of revisions to get the bugs out. The thermal efficiency and required voltage is phenominal to say the least. Intel's attempts at going 90nm, 64 and 2x have not been working well for them while AMD has a loaded boat of all 3 together very successfully! I don't think it would be a mistake to buy one of the new 2x CPU's but if your itch isn't too strong yet you could save a little if you hang on a bit.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    Hehe guess what I got in my Digitimes News letter today:
    AMD will also launch the Athlon 64 X2 3800+, which will be cheapest dual-core processor in its Athlon 64 X2 line, according to sources at motherboard makers. The unit price of the 3800+ will be US$345, as compared to US$537 for the 4200+, AMD’s current entry-level dual-core part.

I think I could go for that.