Failed GPU Fan

pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I'm building my neighbors computer right now and have everything up and running fine. I was just starting my windows install when I went to check the functionality of all the fans I placed in the system. While doing this I noticed that his TI 4600 128MB fan wasn't spinning (Vid card is functional though, 2D and 3D). Spinning it by hand feels like the fan is giving a ton of resistance so it seems like it has seized. I'm about to take it all apart but I'm assuming that the outlook is going to be very grim. Has anyone had this happen, and if so what was your solution? Were you able to fix it or did you have to order an aftermarket cooler or fan? Budget is paramount so I'm half tempted to rig something up with an 80mm fan if that turns out to be the only solution.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    I picked up an aftermarket HSF for my old Ti4600. Thermaltake makes one that is very reasonably priced. I think I only paid about $15CDN for it, plus you get some ramsinks. I bought it from Bigfoot in Toronto, but I'm sure you could probably source it in Michigan as well, or via. Online ordering..

That is what it looks like...
    http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1433HSTT&Category_Code=71
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Thanks. I took the fan out, sprayed it with some carb cleaner, dried it off and put it back in. That seems to have worked cause it spins up. Now I have a bigger problem though, the computer won't power on!! The stupid thing spins the fans for just a second when I push the power button and then nothing. Have to reset the PS before the fans will spin again. I'm not sure whats causing this, but it does it with or without the GPU fan plugged in. Sounds like its might be a short to me, but nothing has moved.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    pseudonym wrote:
    Thanks. I took the fan out, sprayed it with some carb cleaner, dried it off and put it back in. That seems to have worked cause it spins up. Now I have a bigger problem though, the computer won't power on!! The stupid thing spins the fans for just a second when I push the power button and then nothing. Have to reset the PS before the fans will spin again. I'm not sure whats causing this, but it does it with or without the GPU fan plugged in. Sounds like its might be a short to me, but nothing has moved.

Thats odd. I've had things like that happen to me before too. Usually fiddling with everything does the trick. Reseat the ram, cards, cables etc. Give it a shot. If that doesn't do it, sometimes remounting the mainboard helps :) gremlins in teh pc for sure..
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Yeah, fun stuff. Something shifted. I know for one thing that I do NOT like these Mobo standoffs, trying a ton of things right now but nothing seems to be a fix. Hope its not the Mobo.