Dell 8400 Dimension Driver Support

edited March 2011 in Science & Tech
Hi, my dell recently crashed and I had to reformat the hard-drive and reload XP. However, I didn't have a driver / utility disk so I downloaded all that I could from the dell site. However, I cannot find out which Multimedia Audio Controller to select and it's giving me the blues.

Furthermore, my computer now always starts up with the selection to either run XP setup or run XP? This never happened before.

I also cannot do a simple restart because it comes up and says that it doesn't recognize my drives. I just realized that someone else said something about XP not recognizing SATA.

This is all a big mystery to me.........please help. my email address is twofivegroup@yahoo.com Thanks

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I manage tons of Dells and have driver disks for the 8400. If you are interested, I can create an ISO of the Dimension 8400 Driver disk tomorrow and email you with the web link to it?

As for your issues with the WinXP setup... did you totally reformat the hard drive or just install over WinXP? If you are sure there is only one operating system, you may be able to clear the master boot record so only the WinXP will show. To clear the master boot record, boot to a win98 boot disk... type the following:
    fdisk /mbr

SATA issue... maybe due to the Chipset drivers not being installed correctly, so the SATA channels aren't recognized... just a guess though.:scratch:

Also.... Make sure you email address is correct in your user profile and remove the email link so you don't get SPAMMED...
  • edited October 2005
    I have also ran into the problem of not being able to find a driver for the Dell 8400 Multimedia Audio Controller. I have all the CD's from Dell but none seem to have the right driver. Can you assist >
    Thanks,
    QCH2002 wrote:
    I manage tons of Dells and have driver disks for the 8400. If you are interested, I can create an ISO of the Dimension 8400 Driver disk tomorrow and email you with the web link to it?

As for your issues with the WinXP setup... did you totally reformat the hard drive or just install over WinXP? If you are sure there is only one operating system, you may be able to clear the master boot record so only the WinXP will show. To clear the master boot record, boot to a win98 boot disk... type the following:

SATA issue... maybe due to the Chipset drivers not being installed correctly, so the SATA channels aren't recognized... just a guess though.:scratch:

Also.... Make sure you email address is correct in your user profile and remove the email link so you don't get SPAMMED...
  • edited December 2005
    I have the same issue with the Dell 8400 drivers. Had to replace a harddrive. Dell sent no resource cd or driver and utilities cd. I have downloaded drivers from Dell but continue to have issues. Dell support has not been much help. I would really appreciate if you still have the ISO file of the Drivers, if you could email it.
    edited December 2005
    I've looked for our 8400 disk and cannot find it. Sorry. We normally keep ALL of our driver disks, but in this case... not so. I'm sorry I promised help. :rolleyes:
  • edited December 2005
    Thanks anyway. Anyone else got any ideas?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    eddog60 wrote:
    Thanks anyway. Anyone else got any ideas?
    Have you tried this solution?
  • edited February 2006
    Hi,I just had to do a complete reinstall of Windows Media Center onto a friends Dimension 8400.
    This has been a nightmare, I am a networking major so installing operating systems and troubleshooting PC's is no stranger to me. However, it has been a terrible experience with the 8400 Dell. After doing a complete reinstall I can no longer connect to the internet. I have downloaded the ethernet drivers from the internet and installed them and the darn thing still won't connect. I can't even see the routher (no gateway address). I also haven't found the multimedia driver. I have talked to Dell until I'm blue in the face and all they want to do is get me to PAY for their help. I noticed that you have a complete set of 8400 drivers, could you please email them to me. Also, if anybody has any input as to how to resolve this issue please let me know.
    edited February 2006
    I am not sure your level of PC knowledge so don't take this wrong if you ARE knowledgeable.
    1. BIOS upgrade (new version is A08)
    2. Install WinXP
    3. Chipset driver install
    4. Network install
    5. Patch with SP2 and critical patches
    6. Dell Desktop System Software
    7. Audio Drivers
    8. Video Drivers

That's my usual order give or take....
  • edited October 2006
    http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/softwareupdate.asp?nSUFlag=1&sDestUrl=http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/&hdAllProduct=1&LangID=1033&hdDspLangID=1033

..had the same problem with this Dell Dimension 8400...the autoupdate from Creative's website did the trick. SOUND!!!
  • edited May 2009
    QCH2002 wrote:

I am reinstalling xp home on my friends Dell 8400. At first it keeps saying hard drivr not found. I then pressed f6 to install the raid drivers that i got from the website. Tried to install xp after that, still same problem

Formattedthe harddrive thinking maybe start again. Harddrive formatted, try to install again still same problem. This machine is driving me crazy. Any help or advice is very much welcomed.

Please help me.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited May 2009
    I am reinstalling xp home on my friends Dell 8400. At first it keeps saying hard drivr not found. I then pressed f6 to install the raid drivers that i got from the website. Tried to install xp after that, still same problem

Formattedthe harddrive thinking maybe start again. Harddrive formatted, try to install again still same problem. This machine is driving me crazy. Any help or advice is very much welcomed.

Please help me.

I've worked on some Dells in the past, and had a similar problem. It's been a few years, but if I remember right I had to set something in the bios regarding the SATA interface. I guess that's a hint on maybe where to look. Sorry I can't be more specific, it was just a couple of machines out of hundreds.

~FA
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    :eek2: Hello, FA!!
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited May 2009
    :eek2: Hello, FA!!

~ Been a long time sir.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Is this your once-a-year appearance then? :D Great to see you!

( <-- Keebler )
  • edited August 2009
    QCH wrote:
    I am not sure your level of PC knowledge so don't take this wrong if you ARE knowledgeable.
    2. Install WinXP
    4. Network install
    7. Audio Drivers
    8. Video Drivers
  • edited August 2009
    hello,
    hoW are you, i am having alot of problems with dell 8400 drivers and i dont have recovery cd. Is there anyway you can get me a copy.
    thank you

QCH wrote:
    2. Install WinXP
    4. Network install
    7. Audio Drivers
    8. Video Drivers
    edited August 2009
    At this point, no. But all the drivers are online HERE.
  • WDaveJenkinsWDaveJenkins Denver
    edited March 2011
    :respect:Please send the Dell 8400 Driver disk ISO. I have had little success from Dell. The driver downloads error out with 'one or more missing/corrupted files' from two different PCs, and Firefox as well as IExploder. Much obliged. -DJ
    QCH wrote:

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Seems to work for me.

EDIT: Retracted. You should probably contact Dell Support.