is it my vid card or monitor?

edited July 2005 in Hardware
I have a pritty new video card (geforce 6600 256mb) a couple months old and my monitor is three or mabe more years old, but when I'm playing games and just general computing my monitor randomly has lines appear then dissappear it is becoming a little mere freequent as I use my computer. Any Ideas of which one it is?

thanks!

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Check the monitor cable to see if it's attached firmly. Move the cable around and see if the lines come and go; you might have some interference from another device, such as your speakers or a power cable. If you can borrow another monitor and/or hook your monitor up to another computer you should be able to isolate the problem.

What is your monitor's refresh rate set at?

The fact that it happens when you're gaming makes me think it is a heat problem. If you have a table fan you could take the side of the case off and point the fan right at the card. If that cures the problem then you'll need to either upgrade the cooling in your case, get a better cooling solution for the card (possibly voiding your warranty), or both.

What do your case and CPU temperatures look like?

Note: Moved to Graphics & Sound :)
  • edited July 2005
    the cable is tight, refresh rate is at 60 I believe, case is pritty cool, cpu between 32 and 28 not uncommon for my AMD 64 300+ and case at like 25 its been hotter before but I just got a new case!! so its cooler now. the monitor is like 9 years old so it could be the problem but I can't test on another right now. the lineies happen if I game or I don't it first started when I was surfing the web at one point.
    edited July 2005
    60 Hertz is low for a refresh rate setting. See if you can bump it up a little.

If the monitor really is nine years old I would guess that it's failing on you. I have one that age with the same problem you describe, the only difference being that my lines are there all the time, along with a general bluish-green tint over the entire screen. I only use it for monitoring my file & print server, though.

The only way you're going to be sure is to hook it up to a friends computer. If the lines are still there you'll know it's the monitor. If not, it's time to start checking out your video card - at least it will still be under warranty.
  • edited July 2005
    thanks I'll try to bump up the refresh rates any suggestions it can go from 60 - 85
    edited July 2005
    As a general rule you want it as high as you safely can take it, up to the point where you would be forced to lower your resolution or color depth. With that card, 85 Hz should be a cinch.

By "safely", I mean make sure the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" box is checked.

Like I mentioned, at nine years old you shouldn't expect any miracles... :(

Good luck. :)
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited July 2005
    My money is on your video card. Those are symptoms of an overheating card. Check your internal case temp. It shouldn't be more than 45C. 35C and less is ideal.
  • edited July 2005
    Also check the GPU temp using the VC's built in temp sensor. IME, as long as the GPU temp is under 84*C, you should be fine.