LCD monitor

ronboronbo Connecticut
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I have been useing a 19" Sony Trinitron for the last 4 years. But it is on its way out now. It does not have the nice vibrant color it had when I bought it, and it takes about 40 minutes to warm up and give me any kind of nice color at all. So when I built my new system, with the help of a lot of the great people here at Short-Media, I bought a new LCD monitor to go with it. I am a gamer first and everything else comes second. I got a good deal on a Samsung 19" 8ms response time monitor. Model number 915n SyncMaster. It has great color and is perfect for games. The best part is it only draws 35watts, the old Sony drew 250 watts. What I am having trouble with is the text on this monitor. It is not as clear as the Sony was. I tried useing clear type and it was not any better. The native resolution is 1280x1024 which I use in games but for my desktop I have it set to 1024x768 so I can read without straining my eyes. I also have it set for 72hz. Is this common for LCD monitors not to be as clear with text as a CRT is? ....thanks for any suggestions. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Comments

• Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited July 2005
    Change the settings back to 1280x1024 then change your display settings. You can increase the size of icons, menu text, etc.

Thought I'd provide some directions in case you weren't sure. Right click on your desktop to change the resolution like normal. Under the Appearance Tab you can change to larger fonts, then click the Advanced Button and you can customize things further.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    What does text look like under its native resolution?

With LCD monitors anything other than the native resolution forces the monitor to "fake it". It tries to come as close as it can, but since there is not a 1:1 mapping of the pixels you are going to get some distortion.

Read more here.

My dad just got the 930b a month ago and the main reason he chose it was the fact that it had the sharpest text of any we saw in the store. He's not a gamer at age 73, so the 8ms stuff was not important to him. He's also legally blind in one eye and needs all the help he can get when viewing a computer screen (or anything else, for that matter).

There are adjustments you can make regarding screen fonts. Maybe a little tweaking here and there will give you the best of both worlds.

EDIT: Nolf-Job was too quick for me. :D
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited July 2005
    Thank you both for your help. So what you are both saying is I should run the monitor at the native resolution [1280x1024] to get the clear, sharp, text that I had with the Sony CRT monitor? This is my first LCD monitor, so I have no previous experience.
  • edited July 2005
    ronbo wrote:
    Thank you both for your help. So what you are both saying is I should run the monitor at the native resolution [1280x1024] to get the clear, sharp, text that I had with the Sony CRT monitor? This is my first LCD monitor, so I have no previous experience.

Yes.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited July 2005
    U might also want to play with ClearType Font settings if your runnin WinXP.

It seemed to help on my monitor.

Online version here.
  • edited July 2005
    Curious about - - - " been using a 19" Sony Trinitron for the last 4 years. But it is on its way out now. It does not have the nice vibrant color it had when I bought it, and it takes about 40 minutes to warm up and give me any kind of nice color at all"

I bought a 19-inch ViewSonic G790 in October 1988. . . . My computer normally is on 24 / 7, though at night I turn-off the monitor. . . . But, 6 and a half years later, my monitor seems as good as ever. . . . It instantly comes on, and seems to have all the correct vibrant colors . . . . Maybe the ViewSonic G790 monitor is like the 1970's Hitachi 19-inch TV that users reported as lasting forever

As to LCD's, seems they are reported to have some small degree of instabilities - - that is, a certain percentage of the dots on the screen will constantly wander in brightness and color. . . I do not think this has been solved as yet. . . . When in local stores, watching the big flat panel LCD TV's, one can easily see the instabilities appearing here and there on the screen

Also, seems there is a need to match the video card with the monitor, per w**.mysuperpc.com/video_card.shtml

Also see - - w**.mysuperpc.com/lcd_flat_panel_monitor.shtml