HD Format : Change partition size

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hi !

I'll sell my old pc soon and then i want to format it, I know how to do this but i also want to change the partition size (or format partition and recreate new one... anyway you know what i mean). I've never do this before so i don't know what to do...

For now i got a c: of 4 gig and 36 gig on the d: ... I would like to have 10 gig on the c: and 30 gig on the d:

Is there a 'DOS way' to do that ? What do you think is the best method to use... ?

I've search on the net but i don't found any DOS way to do it... Maybe i need to use an app...

Thankx

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited July 2005
    Are you intending on installing a fresh OS on the computer or just wiping the drives clean and dumping the machine?

Does it have Windows on it now or is it a Linux box?

Do you have a Windows XP disk?

Flint
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited July 2005
    I'll install windows XP on it... actually the os is windows 2000. I got a windows XP pro install CD.

Is there a way to do this with the cd ?

EDIT : I want to format the 2 partitions, restart as new... Like a 'giga' format of my HD and restart with new partition size.
    edited July 2005
    BTW i'll get my hands on a Partition Magic copy. I was thinking this program was 'sh*t' but it seems lots a people around here use it to change partition size... Seems like there's no 'DOS command' to do it :(

If someone know another way to change partition size in windows or with a cd. Let me know... Im curious :D
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2005
    boot from the install cd for xp. When it gets far enough it will let you pick the partition to install to. Delete both the old partitions. Just follow the directions on the screen it's very easy to figure out.

Make new ones whatever size you want. And if I only had a 40gb drive I would make just one big.

format and continue instaling. They give you the oppurtunity to make, and delete partitions and format them durring the XP install.

Tex
    edited July 2005
    Realy ? GREAT :)

I know that the install ask for a partition to install xp but i was not thinking we could 'delete' partition from that screen ! I'll search harder in this screen for this option then ;)

I'll try it this evening for sure.

Thankx
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2005
    You highlight the one to delete. Press "d". It asks if if your really sure and makes you press "L" I think it is to confirm.

But all the options are clearly on the screen. Just carefully read the options and follow the prompts.

Its very easy.

Tex
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited July 2005
    Gee Tex, that's exactly what I was going to say!!

However, I am not sure about exactly what you said, whether your going to install XP or 2000. What Tex said is fine for an XP install or to wipe the drives for a fresh install of 2000. Since I've only installed the Server version of the 2000 family, I have no idea of the proceedure for the install of 2000 Pro. If you clarify what you're going to do, maybe Tex can help there too.

Flint
    edited July 2005
    LoL, it's easy yeah ;)

The problem here is that i've installed windows so many times that i don't even read instructions most of the time :o ... That is surely why i never see that option :rolleyes:

Anyway, im happy cuz i won't have to find and install an application 'just to do that' :thumbsup:

EDIT : i will install windows XP pro, not windows 2000 ;) That's why i need some more Gig in the c: drive because XP takes a lot more space than 2000 and 4 gig is way too short i think. I know that with 40 gig have only one drive is a good idea but if u want to keep some data safe i like to have a d: with all my mp3's and movies (well.. hmmm, with a d: of 30 gig, can't say LOT of movies... anyway :D). The one who will buy my computer likes it too ;)

Thankx