X800 XL Overkill for my system?

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I really want a new videocard, but I kind of have to get it through Dell (Dell credit card), MOST cards they sell are a total ripoff, and the selecton of cards to choose from is pretty weak :rolleyes:. However I did find this RADEON X800 XL 256 MB AGP Graphics Card for $323.00

NewEgg has virtually the same card for 329$ So its not a TOTAL ripoff.

But I need some advice on weather or not a card like that would be overkill for the system I am putting it in.

AXP 2500+ with a gig of RAM running at 333Mhz.

I do plan on eventually upgrading the motherboard CPU and ram within the next 6 months. And I would like to continue to use the card with those upgrades.

Would it be much of an improvement over my current 9800XT?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    If you're upgrading to a new mobo/CPU in the next six months, I would advise you to save your money and go PCIe when the time comes, so you're not stiffing yourself on the upgrade paths.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited July 2005
    Yea I thought of that too, but I figure it this way. AFAIK current PCIe cards arent much faster than the equivalent AGP models.

I build a new rig once a year or so, so a year after I buy my next rig (which would have to be AGP) I could go PCIe, and by then Im sure there will be signifigant improvement of PCIe cards over AGP cards.

On top of that, I really want a new vidcard now. Buying a $200 card now, thats more suitable for this system, and then another card later doesn't make much sense.

boy I'm really trying to justify buying this card ;D

Do you think my current system would push that X800XL? And would it be a signifigant performance increase over my 9800XT?
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited July 2005
    It will show a nice performance increase over your 9800xt. Mine does anyway. Especially in newer games. Twice the FPS in Doom3 and Half Life 2.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    The positive points:
    • Your current system will have no problems running that card.
    • You will see a dramatic increase in improvement over your current 9800XT.

The negative points:
    • You will be holding yourself back on possibilities by comiting to AGP again but you did make a good point since you plan on upgrading again next year.

The undeniable:
      You have already convinced yourself that you are getting a new vid card now. This will not likely change and will probably get worse with time.

With my impulsive nature I would be posting benchies with my new card by new. :cool:
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited July 2005
    Well I scoured the web, and found some Dell coupon codes, got the price down to 288$ with free shipping. Thats actually about 40$ cheaper than NewEgg (suprising from Dell).

Thats pretty much a deal sealer for me. So Ill see yall on the Battlefield in lots of beautiful detail, and a very high rate of frames per second. :thumbsup::mullet: