advmethods question

DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
edited July 2005 in Folding@Home
I have my high end rigs configured for large WU's. Do I also need to specify the -advmethods switch?? It's been working so far but if it can go faster then all the better. :)

Thanks,

Geoff

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    I am not sure what WUs they are sending out to the admethods tag/switch right now. Sometimes they just send out normal WUs, others WUs that are in its last stages of beta. You could add it and see if you get something different than what you are currently getting.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Last I saw it was late beta WUs being sent unless all the servers sending late betas were busy when a client wanted a WU. THEN, a normal WU would be sent out. Just to explain mmonnin's post more. He's right, that is the WHY of it.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Glad you guys cleared that up...

(Nice to see you stop in Straight_Man... Thanks for the info.)
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited July 2005
    Thanks for the replies guys but I don't think I clarified what I'm trying to find out.

I guess my question is Do I HAVE to put the -advmethods switch when I run or can I just leave it out when I have the "request large work assignments" set to yes?

I'm just wondering if it matters one way or another to use -advmethods.

Thanks again!

Geoff
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    You dont have to use any tags/switches. You have have to allow large WUs either. Sometimes those settings will get you different WUs, sometimes they wont.

Look back and see what you have been getting, put -advmethods on, and see what you get after.