Resolution problem in Ubuntu

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Science & Tech
Utter n00b with Linux so please try explaing stuff to me like if you were telling to a toddler.

Now the problem is that when installing Ubuntu, it asks what resolutions are okay. I selected 1248x1024 since it's my lcd's native resolution. Only problem is that I was installing it in VMWare and 1240x1024 is a hassle if you're trying to use VMWare and other stuff in windows. Ok, so I tried to change the res but the screen got all scrambled. Well I tried rebooting, the login looked okay but when I got to the desktop it got scrambled again. Anyone know how I can change the res to something lower?

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2005
    press ctrl alt f1
    login
    dpkg reconfigure xserver-xfree86
    One of the things it will ask you is your res
    Select the res you want
    Hit enter on everything else

This should work unless the people who made ubuntu striped out dpkg.
    (wouldn't suprise me they butchered debian)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I do that ctrl alt f1 thing but nothing happens :scratch:
    edited July 2005
    Try ctrl alt f2 then. (If both fail Im out of ideas)
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    you can use all the F keys, try them all. I think F7 is the default.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Well now it worked but after I played a symphony on the 3 keys (hitting them in random sequence). Only problem now is that "dpkg reconfigure xserver-xfree86" doesn't work. "reconfigure" is an uknown option I think.
    edited July 2005
    try typing in dpkg recon then hit the tab key. not sure if it will autocomplete or not since reconfigure is an option, but worth a shot.
    edited July 2005
    Might be "dpkg-reconfig xserver-xfree86" (haven't had to reconfigure X since last install)
    edited July 2005
    Ok. "dpkg-reconfigre xserver-xfree86" works but now it says I have to run it as root. How?
    edited July 2005
    log in as root instead of your user account. or if you don't want to log out and back in, type in su- then it'll ask for root's password. when you're done type exit and you're back to your user.
    edited July 2005
    su (Then it will ask for the pass ubuntu has none unless you set one *This is a very large security hole you should set one if you havent already*)
    dpkg-reconfigre xserver-xfree86

Or you can do a sudo if your setup for that.
    like this
    "sudo dpkg-reconfigre xserver-xfree86"
    edited July 2005
    Got around the root thingy (it's disabled by default but you have the option to give the shell admin privledge or something along that line) but now it says that package xserver-xfree86 is not installed and no info is avaliable.
    edited July 2005
    Gah ubunt uses X.org not xfree86, dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg should fix the problem.

edit: Btw I would recomend switching to debian if its possiable its much easyer to fix problems with.
    edited July 2005
    Ok. That worked and set everything. How do I get back to the desktop? Reboot or some odd command?
    edited July 2005
    crtl alt F7 (Might have been f8)
    Or just restart the machine (halt to shutdown and reboot to reset)
    edited July 2005
    Uggh. Didn't fix the problem. It only happens after I log in. Can I delete the account or something?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    blackhawk, you were asking me a good way to learn linux earlier:

THIS IS IT, BROTHA ;D
    edited July 2005
    Got it. gconf-editor and changed the resolution.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited July 2005
    sorry i didnt see this earlier or i would have helped. Ubuntu is my babY!!! I loved it so much that I deleted Windows off my PC. lol.

Yeah, sorry i couldnt help in time.

;)
    edited July 2005
    In that case, I have another problem.

I'm currently following this guide and on step 11. Only problem is that at one point it wants to create a directory (/mnt/hgfs) but it can't and stops the process. I tried to make the directory myself but it says it's read only. Any ideas?

post209791120798847thumb0ek.jpg
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited July 2005
    I dont know if this is the prob, but it looks like you are taking some different steps. That is the guide for Warty and im guessing you are using Hoary 5.04. if so, try this guide.

http://www.tuxme.com/node/536/
    edited July 2005
    Thanks for the link. Could you explain step one and five for me?

Edit: Okay.. Read again and I don't think that's what I needed. That link is for installing VMware in Ubuntu. I want to install VMware Tools in Ubuntu.
  • edited July 2005
    Hi there,

Don't mount /dev/cdrom to /mnt, instead "mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom". This will not make /mnt a readonly directory. Try this... it should work. Atleast I had this problem and it work for me.

Good luck.

Black Hawk wrote:
    In that case, I have another problem.

I'm currently following this guide and on step 11. Only problem is that at one point it wants to create a directory (/mnt/hgfs) but it can't and stops the process. I tried to make the directory myself but it says it's read only. Any ideas?

post209791120798847thumb0ek.jpg
    ;););)
    edited July 2005
    I had got it working before but with a different method but thanks anyways.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited September 2005
    http://ubuntuguide.org/ is your friend.

It go there, it tells you how to open ubuntu up to the universal debian repositories. I installed all kinds of crap from there onto my laptop. Im fairly impressed with Unbuntu. Everything worked right out of install, even my usb drives formatted with NTFS. My only complaint is that its kinda slow, but its still faster than XP... Im on it right now. I have to say that I was also able to access all the windows servers at work. The only thing I am having issues with is finding a newb guide for setting up to use in a windows ads domain. Once I get that squared away adios xp on my laptop for good.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Another thing, to counter what Kanez said. F1 through to 6 are Terminal Screens, F7 is the X Server.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited October 2005
    in Ubuntu at command line its sudo dpkg

super user do