Freezing and beeping at "Preparing Network Connections." WinXP.

MollygizerMollygizer New York, NY
edited July 2005 in Hardware
So, my computer hates me. Once again.

Recently went to turn on my lovely WinXP laptop, and received a blue screen of death right after the XP loading logo-- my registry had failed. Alright, then. Not the end of of civilization, right? Located a usable XP disk since mine had bitten the dust long ago, recovery consoled, and replaced the Software section (which was the error) with the one from the disk. Restarted. Hoped for the best.

Not the best. I restarted, and it went to Windows is starting screen, where it took its sweet time. Finally it goes into the "Preparing Network Connections..." where it sits.... eventually makes a loud, spiteful beep at me... then it sits again for indeterminate amounts of time.

Attempts to load in safe mode arrive me to a black screen with "safe mode" in each corner along with the XP description at the top. Both modes of logging leave me with endless amounts of times to move my mouse in new, interesting patterns, as the mouse appears and works.

Any ideas?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    A repair install is probably your best option.

Boot from the WinXP CD and proceed as if you were doing a clean install. At some point the installation process will detect the previous installation of Windows. Do not add a second copy of Windows; choose to repair the current installation instead.

With previous versions of Windows, reinstalling over an existing copy was a recipe for disaster. The WinXP repair option works very well. :)
  • MollygizerMollygizer New York, NY
    edited July 2005
    Seems to have worked splendidly -- didn't do this initially because I'd lost my copy of the CD, so couldn't find the key, but found one to use and its dandy again.

Having one problem, though -- all the files seems to work except my Microsoft Office, which now gives me an error saying the application failed to initialize properly, and click OK to terminate. Once again, don't have the disk; it was upgraded by my work from standard to the version with Publisher by my work in NYC before I went home to Tennessee for the summer so I could work from home for them. Isn't life grand? Any way to salvage, or time to start phoning again?
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Mollygizer,
    one thing you might be able to try with Office since you don't have the disk is to go to MS's Office Update site and apply/reapply the updates for your particular version. This may or may not work, but it's worth a try.
  • MollygizerMollygizer New York, NY
    edited July 2005
    Oh. More things I discovered. The standby mode on the laptop is disabled when I go to the shutdown menu, and my desktop can only be set to 600x800. I'm going to go try the updates. Grr. I swear that next time, I'm getting a mac.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Software crashes aren't a MS exclusive, but Macs definitely have the upper hand in usability and reliability.

Does XP recognize your laptop's correct graphics/video card or does it say something like "default adapter"? It sounds like you are using a generic driver as opposed to the specific one for your card. You may need to reinstall the driver for your card.