Whats a Celeron II?

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited July 2005 in Hardware
What exactly is a Celeron II? I just recently heard of it.

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited July 2005
    A deeper pile of Celeron I ;D;D;D
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    so its a newer celeron? are they better?
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited July 2005
    Is it a new line or jut the celeron D?
    edited July 2005
    Notwithstanding my flippant comment, I can't find a reference to a Celeron II on Intel's website or on Google for that matter. Therefore, I expect you are referring to the Celeron D, which is the .90 version with a faster bus speed and bigger cache. Something they came up with to compete with the Sempron.
    edited July 2005
    Didn't the celeronD's come out before the sempron? I thought that amd made the sempron to compete with the celeron's.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    Ive never heard of a Celeron II either? :scratch:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    that's because there's no such thing :thumbsup:
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited July 2005
    here maybe this will enlighten some people

Intel Celeron II
    edited July 2005
    guess again prime, look at the link i just posted
    edited July 2005
    that's because there's no such thing :thumbsup:

yeah there is such a thing. ive heard people talking about it. it might not be the official name, but there is something referred to as "Celeron II".
    edited July 2005
    Look how old that is! A 600mhz processor? What they are talking about is what eventually became the coppermine celerons. Did you even read that maximus, or did you just do a quick google and post a link up? ;D

That review is great. At least we know the "Celeron II" beats the pants off the new AMD K6-III 450! ;D
    edited July 2005
    But, I have a real problem with thinking that Intel is just now releasing a processor that is so far behind this:

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/celeron/index.htm

which is the current crop of Celerons.
    edited July 2005
    my point was that there is a celeron II not that it was any good or anything of that nature
    edited July 2005
    and my point is that there is technically NOT a "celeron II" - that was sort of a codename because intel hadn't released them yet. In the end, they were just called Celerons again.

Like, sure, there was also a chip called the AMD Hammer at one point, but it was never a name that was actually applied to a finished product.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Google thinks they exist(ed).

You wouldn't want to argue with the world's most popular search engine, would you? :vimp:
    edited July 2005
    I sure would. I reiterate: The celeron "II" that you are seeing on google links is really a coppermine celeron. I have one sitting on my desk (A celeron 700). All it is is a celeron that is based on the p3 core instead of the p2 core of older celerons (like the famous 300A). It was Socket 370 FC-PGA instead of Socket 100 (remember those?). Trust me, there was never a celeron II, it's just what the rumor press called it before it had an "official" name from Intel (namely - "Celeron")
    edited July 2005
    ...Socket 100 (remember those?)...
    No, I sure as heck don't. :scratch:

I think you could make a case that if enough people refer to something by a certain name, the name becomes pretty much as valid as the "official" name.

The baseball park here in Cleveland is officially named Jacobs Field. Everyone calls it The Jake. San Francisco is often referred to as Frisco. The Metropolitan Opera House in New York is usually referred to simply as The Met. Would you argue that The Jake, Frisco, and The Met don't exist, simply because those aren't the official names?

So there. ;D
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    :eek3:
    edited July 2005
    speaking of old stuff, and i can butcher my own thread lol, what was the very first windows os?? windows 1.0?
    edited July 2005
    ...what was the very first windows os?? windows 1.0?
    More than you ever wanted to know. :cool:

And some screenshots!
    edited July 2005
    okay :thumbsup:

thats pretty cool - i want windows 3.0 with a mad voodoo vid card!!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Most Gurus argue that the first Windows OS for home systems was XP. Everything before that was just a file management, and program application shell that ran in a modified version of DOS 6 (still MS, but not 'Windows")...
    edited July 2005
    i disagree. I think win2k pro was the first pure windows that was viable for home systems.
    edited July 2005
    i disagree. I think win2k pro was the first pure windows that was viable for home systems.
    There is/was no win2k pro! :rarr:

Perhaps you're thinking of Windows 2000 Professional. :cool:

/me runs and hides :hiding:
    edited July 2005
    winME pwnd... :rolleyes:;D;D
    edited July 2005
    winME pwnd... :rolleyes:;D;D

^i think that would be under file managment
    edited July 2005