Computer is running WAY too hot..help!

DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hi All,

Just for the hell of it I downloaded MBM5 to check the temps I'm running. Well much to my surprise my CPU was running 85+ and the Zone 2 temp was 70+ :eek:

I downloaded Intel Active Monitor to double check and it said the same thing. I killed my two running FAH's and the temps dropped back down to the 50's. I immediately thought something must be wrong. So, I shut her down, cleaned the heatsink, put new paste, and added two fans (one to the front, one to the back) and rebooted. Note, my computer runs with no side panels on the case.

Now, my temps are running 46 CPU, 33 Zone 1, 40 Zone 2. When I start FAH it sends the CPU to 62+ and Zone 2 to 55+. Alarms go off, I stop FAH and the temps go back down.

So, obviously this computer is running WAAAAYYYY too hot. What can I do??

FYI, the CPU is an intel Pentium 4 3.2E Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 Processor and the MB is Intel® Desktop Board D865GBF.

Thanks!

Geoff

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Those CPU's are known for running pretty hot, but you should be able to get your temp lower than it is now. This review found the following:
    We used the reference Intel ventirad equipped with a quite large copper insert and the processor reached 52°C with a room temperature of 20°C in use with Prime95. In comparison it was 44°C for a P4C.
    That 20C room temperature translates to 68F; I would imagine that your computer room is hotter than that in mid-July.

Are you using the stock Heat Sink & HSF? I've been working on my Athlon64 temps lately and have done everything except replace the HSF. I've got the MB temp down to 87F (in a 78F room), so the next step for me will be to go right to the heart of the matter.

We've got some top cooling experts around here. Hopefully they'll weigh in with more specific advice than I can give. :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    They don't call the Prescott the "PressHott" for nothin' ;D

You have one of the hottest running chips ever made. Chances are you are using the stock cooling that came with it. Probably the only way for you to lower those temps is to get a really good third party cooling solution onto that space heater.
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited July 2005
    Yep, I'm running the stock cooling that came with it. I've been reading and it appears that I need a better fan. Now, which one to get!?!?! :confused:
    edited July 2005
    Not just a fan - a heatsink and a fan.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2005
    part of it is also that the stock cooler comes with a thermal cooling pad instead of thermal paste. in case you dont know what im talking about, the heatsink requires an interface between the metal of the heatsink and the metal of the cpu's heatspreader. buying some arctic silver, removing that thermal pad and applying the thermal paste might make a difference
    edited July 2005
    Not just a fan - a heatsink and a fan.

I knew that... I just didn't *SAY* that. LOL :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    ...my computer runs with no side panels on the case...
    Just for kicks, what happens to the temps with the sides on? Sometimes you're better off with the airflow directed along a specific path. It's conceivable that running wide open like that your case fans are just churning air around willy-nilly and not doing much to actually remove heat.

A couple years ago I spent a lot of time experimenting with different fan configurations. I found that with any amount of decent air exhaust at the rear of the case (the PSU fan is not enough) a side-panel fan blowing in directly over the CPU area works best. I did the same thing for my dads computer last Winter. He has his rig inside a compartment built into his computer desk and his Barton 2500+ was running about 62C. One 80mm fan on the side and another at the rear dropped his temps dramatically - as in about 10C. Your experience may vary due to the actual configuration of your case.

Of course, all the case cooling in the world is not going to help much if the heat is not being removed efficiently from the CPU.
    edited July 2005
    TheBaron wrote:
    part of it is also that the stock cooler comes with a thermal cooling pad instead of thermal paste. in case you dont know what im talking about, the heatsink requires an interface between the metal of the heatsink and the metal of the cpu's heatspreader. buying some arctic silver, removing that thermal pad and applying the thermal paste might make a difference

Mine didn't have the thermal pad. When I installed it I used some paste that I got from Best Buy. Is this sufficient or should I buy some arctic silver?
    edited July 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Just for kicks, what happens to the temps with the sides on? Sometimes you're better off with the airflow directed along a specific path. It's conceivable that running wide open like that your case fans are just churning air around willy-nilly and not doing much to actually remove heat.

I just tried that and the temps went up 5c each. I guess I'll leave it open for now until I get a new heatsink. I'm going to get a couple more fans for the case as well.
    edited July 2005
    Arctic Silver 5 is the way to go.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    And here I am worrying if my CPU temp goes above 40 at load :buck:

Those prescotts are incredably hot!. I do recall Intel's max temperature rating on those chips to be pretty forgiving. Somewhere in the range of 100C. I'd second the above recommendation for an XP90. You may want to get a higher flow fan as well to keep that sucker cool. A Panaflow 'Medium' would be my recommendation.
    edited July 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    And here I am worrying if my CPU temp goes above 40 at load :buck:

Those prescotts are incredably hot!. I do recall Intel's max temperature rating on those chips to be pretty forgiving. Somewhere in the range of 100C. I'd second the above recommendation for an XP90. You may want to get a higher flow fan as well to keep that sucker cool. A Panaflow 'Medium' would be my recommendation.

Would this fan be acceptable? I only ask because I have a few extra laying around from when I assembled some other computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999963

EDIT: I'm guessing not since the Panaflo fan is 120mm and the air flow is significantly more.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    Would this fan be acceptable? I only ask because I have a few extra laying around from when I assembled some other computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999963

You could certainly try, and see how it does before you purchase something else. 35cfm is decent, but you may want to go with a higher flow 92mm fan for the XP90.