SFF system for family member, need opinions

edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hey everyone,
My mom is taking a new job as a traveling nurse and wants me to help her decide on a new computer system. She wants a notebook but, I'm trying to convince her to buy a SFF system instead (i've got a spare monitor, mouse, and keyboard I can give her). We've got about $800 to spend on the system.
It's been awhile since I've built a new system. I've seen alot of new chipsets out and need some info on them. I have a socket 478 pentium 2.4, abit ic7-max3 motherboard (875P chipset), two 36 gig raptors in RAID 0, and an NVIDIA GeForce4 128 mb. I haven't built a system since then.
So, should I build her a SFF system or does anyone think a notebook is a better choice?

Thanks
Greg

Comments

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited July 2005
    traveling....

Notebook, new with warranty.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    uh, for travelling, definitely a notebook. Why on earth would she want to lug a SFF pc, monitor, keyboard, and mouse with her? A notebook is made for this kind of stuff :confused:
  • edited July 2005
    << uh, for travelling, definitely a notebook. Why on earth would she want to lug a SFF pc, monitor, keyboard, and mouse with her? A notebook is made for this kind of stuff >>

I guess I kinda just wanted to build a new system :whistles: ;)

It just seems to me that notebooks become outdated so quickly.

The Dell model I was looking at for her only comes with 128 mb of RAM on 1 DIMM. I dont even want to think about running windows XP with that. On newegg, there's 512 mb of OCZ notebook RAM for about $52 I suppose we could upgrade to. That would mean wasting the 128 mb stick it came with though.

Are there any "barebone" notebook cases you can buy and upgrade the components yourself?

~Greg
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    If she was at a location for a week at a time, then maybe a SFF would work, but if she is moving any more than that then go with a laptop/notebook.
    If she is at one location a lot then she might like a real monitor and keyboard there.
  • edited July 2005
    What do you guys think about this one from Dell, I'd throw in some more RAM:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=i1200S1&s=dhs

But that one has the older celeron processor... the cheapest notebook with a Pentium M is the 2200:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=i2200S3&s=dhs

Would it be better to go with the newer chipset for the extra $12/month?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I honestly can't recommend either of those notebooks. I have friends with Inspirons in the same line that curse them day-in and day-out. You probably don't want to finance.

-drasnor :fold: