We've got to pick up the pace!

SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
edited July 2005 in Folding@Home
I was looking at the team stats earlier today and at the rate that we are currently folding at the P2P Community is going to take over Short-Media's 12th-place spot in November. Does anyone have any ideas on what some of us can do for promotion? We want the team back up in the top 10, not in 13th.

One of my friends wants me to help him with his computer so when I'm done I'll probably install F@H on it. It's only a 933MHz though but it's got 384MB of RAM (and may have more soon). I'll also try to find some free parts and build a little something maybe next week. Don't expect any supercomputer though... anything I find is stuff that people threw away. I have also put a F@H Promotion in my signature and on spywareshooter.com to try to attract new members. Maybe if we can get some ideas on what we can do here the folding rate will start going up.

Comments

• RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited July 2005
    I've been getting really into folding lately, even though im only on one system. I have my old HP, intel celeron 1.99GHz, 512MB of RAM. That should fold alright shouldnt it? I will talk to some of my friends as well, although I dont think they will participate. Take back the top 10!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    The Celeron 2.0 will fold just fine, Rivers. :smokin:
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited July 2005
    Oh I'm also getting another 512MB stick for this computer this week so I'll have 1GB. More RAM increases folding production right?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    not really. If you have more than 512mb of ram you can enable large WUs for a little bit of an extra boost (only because the large wus are usually worth more points), but ram doesn't increase folding speed at all.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    Yeah as prime said its all CPU. Stanford just gives a little boost in points for you allowing them to use your RAM since the WUs are so big.
    edited July 2005
    Allright, I'm thinking of folding with my 3.0P4, except it is only on for maybe 4 hours a day. Will this do enough to increase any production?

Also I'm going to bring up my 566Mhz Celeron and see if I can get it on the net to start folding with it. It's going to be a pain in the ass though to bring it upstairs and hook it up just to send/recieve WU's.

Update: The "celery" is now up and folding., although I haven't completed a frame yet. Hopefully I can get something by the end of the night. I'm not going to leave it on 24/7 since it's so loud but it'll be on and folding during the day.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Yes, 4 hours per day will help - really anything at all helps!

Loud? A 566MHz Celeron shouldn't have too much in the realm of cooling requirements. If it's a Socket370 chip I could send you a nearly silent CPU cooler for it, if that's what is causing it to be loud. You might want to revisit your cooling solution for that PC and see where a few tweaks might give you some gain.
    edited July 2005
    Yeah 4 hours a day will help. Not as much as 24 hours a day though.;)
    edited July 2005
    Yeah, the Celeron is so loud I can hear it at the other end of the house if I'm listening enough. It's up to 3 frames now so it's a slow folder but what do you expect from a 566? I'll try to get the P4 3.0 folding tomorrow.
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited July 2005
    I've got a 166 that folding 24/7. Looks like I'm getting 1% every day. :rolleyes:
    edited July 2005
    Heh the Celeron is folding at about 1 frame per hour and the WU has 1000 frames. It'll be a while before we see anything from that machine.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    After a year of forgetful inactivity due to a move from San Diego, CA to Maine and Florida, I belatedly added my triad of folding power to the team.

AMD64 3700+ = My desktop
    AMDXP 3200+ = Son's desktop
    Celeron 433 = Wife's laptop

Every little bit helps and they are chugging away 24/7.... :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    Yay!!!
    edited July 2005
    Allright I've got some good news here.

This computer (2.1GHz Athlon) is currently working on a 600 point WU. My Celeron (566MHz) is on a 241 pointer :). I'm getting about 20mins/frame with the Athlon and the Celeron hasn't completed a frame yet but I just loaded it about 5 minutes ago. I quit the old WU and loaded a new one since it was going so slow.

Update: The celeron is folding a p1130 at about 31 minutes/frame and I'm done 3 frames.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2005
    Great job SpywareShooter!

I've got no more to add, but I just got home and the rigs are back up and running. :fold:
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Preacher wrote:
    After a year of forgetful inactivity due to a move from San Diego, CA to Maine and Florida, I belatedly added my triad of folding power to the team.

AMD64 3700+ = My desktop
    AMDXP 3200+ = Son's desktop
    Celeron 433 = Wife's laptop

Every little bit helps and they are chugging away 24/7.... :thumbsup:

Sweet! :D
    edited July 2005
    Thanks. The only problem is that this is the only computer that can be on 24/7. Having multiple computers runs up the electricity bill and I don't want more money coming out of my pocket for that :). The Celeron is getting about 27 mins/frame now and I haven't gotten the P4 folding yet but that should crunch 'em away.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    You'd think the electric companies would get on the folding bandwagon and give us free electricity for computers that fold! ;)
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited July 2005
    We need to get more people to join. I say that we post on other forums that we hang out in too. It couldn't hurt unless we post in the competitions' forums. ;D Woh is us! Fold, People, Fold!

EDIT: I just sent an e-mail to everyone on my Hotmail contacts list. I hope that we will get new members from my action. ;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    checkmate wrote:
    ...I say that we post on other forums that we hang out in too...
    That's a fine idea, but make sure you get permission from the admins at the site before doing so. Some people wouldn't spot the difference between a worthwhile research project and spamming. :)
    edited July 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    That's a fine idea, but make sure you get permission from the admins at the site before doing so. Some people wouldn't spot the difference between a worthwhile research project and spamming. :)

Good Point! :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    You'd think the electric companies would get on the folding bandwagon and give us free electricity for computers that fold!

That would be nice :)
    edited July 2005
    I got permission and posted about folding at: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=6141

We need people to join!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Nice job, Checkmate! :D
    edited July 2005
    I'm doing what I can for the cause. I urge everyone to do the same. :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    Just found an game site where winning scores turn into hits for your websites. I am giving half the hits to joinfolding.com and half to spywareshooter.com. I don't know how much good it will do.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2005
    Due to severe electrical wiring problems to part of the house, we lost our farm for a few days. :(

Touch wood, all is back to normal. :thumbsup:

Used the time to build SM27. :D

F:fold:LD on Team.
  • edited July 2005
    I could get my 533Mhz K6-2 back to folding again. It turned a WU in every month or so. :D
    edited July 2005
    Heh, I calculated the time it would take the Celeron for a WU and it's like one every 4 months or something at the rate I'm going at.