Lag when opening Client Window?

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited July 2005 in Folding@Home
I havent heard anyone else say this but when I open up the user interface on my 2 desktops it lags horribly until all the dots get to there correct position. It doesnt do this on my laptop tho.

I think I found out why too. I was looking the the CPU usage while it was doing this once and it was at 0% when I know it should be using like 20% when the window was open. I checked the priority and it was on the lowest setting. I bumped it up one notch in the Task Manager and it doesnt happen anymore.

Anyone else have this 'problem'?

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2005
    I noticed the same hesitation on my machines, I just made sure I left the messages tab open so I wouldn't get the lag. :D

Hmm, you had to make me look. According to the messages I'm pinging, but all I have is the lonely cactus floating around. (pruning level set to zero, rebooted about an hour ago) :scratch:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    Restart the client?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2005
    That's just it, I did restart the client, just no little dots. I'm getting credit so I guess I don't need no stinking dots. :D
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2005
    Sally and I were checking for Dots too, today. No go.

Tried different settings, shut one down, all sorts. :(

As you say.......
    I'm getting credit so I guess I don't need no stinking dots.
    edited July 2005
    Server was down today. Its back up tho.

What is your pruning lvl set to?
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2005
    Ours are on "0". Give it a chance to see something/anything.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2005
    I've been running all day now, pinging still going, no dots.

Maybe the dots were the memory leak. (all scattered around and all) ;D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Possibly related:

I've written a couple JAVA programs that animate assorted 2d things (somewhat similar to moving dots around), and the performance ALWAYS sucks - either javaw ends up at 100% all the time, or everthing just chugs. I'm impressed with the efficiency at which the Dimes program runs. I assume part of the slowdown upon the opening of the window is java related.
    edited July 2005
    Yeah that makes sense. Java just sucks.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    nope. java rocks for file IO and DBase connectivity (and applets). JAVA has it's place for some things. Graphics just isn't one.