SATA strip array offline - years worth of data lost?

edited July 2005 in Hardware
ok, lets just go ahead and get it out of the way... for striping without backups with important data....I'M A DUMB A.... :eek:

now that we have that out of the way, I have 2 western digital 200gig drives I was striping for speed. I have 2 usb hard drives for nightly backups, but just never got around to getting that up and going. This isn't a server, but it does have my most important files on it. I'm a computer programmer.

I have one of those Promise SATA raid PCI cards. The card and the two drives are about a year old and I've always been keen on taking care of them. I've had them in hard drive coolers and they have been mirrored most of the time.

I am somewhat sure the card is ok since I have another tower with sata raid on the mother board and it told me the same thing: the array is offline.

I have ran diagnostics on the two drives and both seem fine. What seems messed up is that one is assigned to the array and the other one is not.

Is there somehow I can get the stray drive assigned back to the array? I've tried the "rebuild array", but the card bios says it doesn't apply (since their not mirrored?).

please help. :bawling:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    If the data is worth $100, you can try RAID reconstructor for free to see if it will work - and if it will, $100 gets you your data back.
  • edited July 2005
    hmm....definately worth it if I can't find anything else that will fix this.

Good to know all is not all lost. I think I will at least test it out and see.

thank you
  • edited July 2005
    I downloaded and ran it. Unfortunately the drives are not visible to windows since it is a hardware based array and the pci card isn't showing it to windows since it is "offline". :(
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Try TestDisk, link found in Post #10 of this thread. It has bailed a lot of us here at Short-Media out. It's also free. :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    do you have a non-raid SATA controller or an onboard controller? raid reconstructor will still find the array despite the lack of a valid raid container. Just stick the two drives on a system and give it a shot.