Sil 3112 with two WD drives WinXP boot hang

edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hello.

I've read posts here, regarding the SATA RAID controller SiI3112. But since I've got a PCI card, and not a Motherboard integrated controller, i can't seem to find any solution.

My scenario:

I've got some problems during boot of Windows XP w/SP2.

During POST, I se the controller with BIOS REV:4.2.50, and can access the controllers BIOS (hit F4). Inside the BIOS GUI, I see the two disks conected to the controller.
I've tested with one disk and two disks i RAID-1 (mirroring) with standard setings.

So far so good (...i think).

But when i get to where i loads boot.ini, i hangs (waited over one hour to see if it would get through). I've got only one OS, Win XP, and with standard settings, where you don't see the boot.ini instances, the screen goes black. But I tested different settings in the boot.ini file to see if the controller pushed the OS disk to another multi/disk/rdisk value. The thing i got then, was the manu hanging.

Then I disconnected the drives from the controller, and windows starts as usual. It finds new hardware, and I supply with the cd and do as in the manual. The driver version is 1.0.0.51. The devise looks good in the device manager. So I did a reboot, and connected the disk again. But I got the same problem.

I've even tested without the USB mouse connected, read it somewhere on this board that it could cause problems.

My HW setup:

Motheboard: Asus P4B533-E, BIOS REV:1004

SATA RAID Controller: Sunsway/ST Lab PCI SATA RAID 2P, SiI3112, PCI-IDESI3112R-1, BIOS REV:4.2.50

Hard drives (connected to the 3112 v2.0): Western Digital Caviar SE WD3000JD, 300GB 8 MB cache

:scratch:

Can you guys please help me?

PS! Excuse my bad english...

Cheers.

Comments

• edited July 2005
    Just a little update.

Just tested each disk on another PC, and the worked fine.
    Then i tested the controller in the other system (with the drives connected) , and it worked lika charm. :D
    One thing I notised, was that during POST, The two drives was listed.
    In my system, I had to enter the BIOS GUI to actualle se the drives. :scratch:

It's prob. incompatible motherboard/BIOS...

Any thougts? :scratch:
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2005
    So you have only two drives? it boots into XP ok on the onboard controller.... you move the drive to the card and then XP won't boot?

is this correct?

Tex
  • edited July 2005
    Tex wrote:
    So you have only two drives? it boots into XP ok on the onboard controller.... you move the drive to the card and then XP won't boot?

is this correct?

Tex

No, I actually got 7 drives. Two that's connected to the onboard, and three that's connected to a Highpoint PCI ATA RAID controller.
    The OS i located on one that's connected to a regular onboard ATA port.
    So the two drive I was talking about, are new drives to serve as storage in RAID-1 on the new controller.

The thing is:
    WinXP SP2 booots nicely without the two new drives connected, but as soon I connect them to the SiI 3112 controller (Witch got my only connectors to SATA. The Onboard and the second PCI RAID controller from highpoint, only supports regular ATA), the bootup halts on here you're suppose to see the Windows loader.

Clumpsy written, but I hope you get it....
    Sorry the bad english...
  • edited July 2005
    It seems to be a solution to my problem here:
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33322

But I'm not sure I want to spent 30$ on something that's should be the manufactures responibilety. And I can be sure that this will work in my case.

Anyone got a modified BIOS for The Asus P4B533-E? OR can help me make one?
    Spinner? I've seen you help others with this... ;)
  • edited July 2005
    Problem solved.
    I upgraded to the newest official Beta, and it seems to work fine.