CD/DVD Media Equal?

NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Like the title says, is all CD/DVD Media created equal? I find a hard time believing this, as the prices vary from brand to brand, but I'd be interested in knowing which brands to trust with my data, and which to stay away from. Any input from you guys?

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2005
    If I'm burning something for a friend, they'll usually give me a CD.

Otherwise, 100% of everything I use goes onto Memorex CDs. I rarely use DVDr/rw (because it's my brother's burner ;D), but I've got some Sony ones that are decent for that.

Seriously. Anything other than Memorex always seems to give me trouble.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Some drives don't seem to get along well (if at all) with some blanks.

Here is tons of info on the subject. :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    No, they are not created equal. There are only a few manufacturers of optical media, and then they are bought and badged by other companies such as memorex, office depot, etc.

Ritek and Taiyo-Yuden are pretty much the best brands out there.

There used to be a site that listed who the actual manufacturers of certain brand names of disks were, but I don't remember the address.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Entropy: memorax uses several vendors, depending on the disks: Some are made by Taiyo-Yuden, some ritek, etc.
    edited July 2005
    ...There used to be a site that listed who the actual manufacturers of certain brand names of disks were, but I don't remember the address.

Was it this one? :)
    profdlp wrote:
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Wow, thanks prof. Here's an e-hug.

/e-hugs

Edit: Some of the findings seem to be conflicting, however. I'm having touble reading some of the tables they've set up, namely the difference between good Imation discs, and bad Imation discs, for instance.
    edited July 2005
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Wow, thanks prof. Here's an e-hug.

/e-hugs
    Thanks...I think... :wtf:;D

...I'm having touble reading some of the tables they've set up, namely the difference between good Imation discs, and bad Imation discs, for instance.
    Note which factory makes the "good" ones, then cross-check it with this page of data. They even give you purty pitchers to look at. :D
  • edited July 2005
    I use 52x Memorex for CDs, but, from my experience, the Memorex DVD media isn't as good. I bought some Memorex DVD+R 16x for my NEC-3520, but they would only write at 4x speed. So I bought some Verbatim DVD-R 16x and man, those things work great. Verbatim has been around forever and a day and they make good stuff. Same price IIRC.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    my vote is for ritek or ridata as the best for blank dvd's---especially from newegg since you can get 100 for about $40.

For cd's i ususally grab a spindle of whatever is cheapest on special. :)