Overclocking guide

Kristof2Kristof2 Member
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I already did a search here and at icronric.

Long time ago (think it was on the old icrontic.com site) someone posted a detailed guide on how to overclock the AMD socket A's. It said what to set everything to and what step to go up in, what to set the voltages at etc. I can't seem to find it anywhere now even though I know I printed it out. I don't wan't to just jump in and blow things up so I really need a good guide.

Kristof2

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2005
    actually, I'd like a guide to overclocking A64's, since the whole hypertransport multiplier tends to confuse me
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I would like to second TheBaron's request for an A64 overclocking guide. :thumbsup:
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited July 2005
    Preacher wrote:
    I would like to second TheBaron's request for an A64 overclocking guide. :thumbsup:

me three. Someone smart help us ;)
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited July 2005
    I have a few bookmarked, http://del.icio.us/nosferatu/amd64 but i didn't read through them yet.
    edited July 2005
    Perfect!

Thanks, Nosferatu!
  • lemonlimelemonlime
    craks his knuckles and opens up Word
    Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    craks his knuckles and opens up Word
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    The first link in the above link is pretty good guide.

Basically is just the same, you just have to lower the HTT multi to 3 or so.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Since the subject of HTT has been raised, what is the trade-off between lower HTT/Higher raw clock speed? Anyone have any info about its impact an real-world performance?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    I dont know if I used the correct term or not but I meant the connection from the CPU to the Northbridge. There is a Frequency * Multiplier. You have to lower the multiplier since the Freq stays with the FSB speed. Just like people lower the CPU multilpier so they can get a high FSB, you also have to lower that multi as well or the system will be too far out of spec.
    edited July 2005
    I found this guide to be very good as well. The bonus is it has example overclocks for multiple A64 CPUs.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=888001&page=1