Overclock settings won't stay!

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I have an Abit BP6 dual CPU motherboard computer that I built. 768 MB PC100 SDRAM, 2 533 Mhz Celerons CPUs. The memory and CPUs are the highest this motheboard can handle.

By changing the FSB to 75 Mhz, I can overclock the 533's to 600. And it works fine. Only problem is that anytime I shut the computer off or restart it, the CPU speed goes back to 533, and I have to go into the BIOS to reset it again.

I had this thing working good and it retained the overclock settings, but I pulled the CMOS battery a couple months ago for some reason I don't remember, and now it doesn't hold the overclock settings. The battery tested good at that time, it was a new battery.

So what can I do or change to keep this thing at 600? I use it for folding, and the only time I restart it is when I hook up the ethernet cable to send / receive work units, because I'm too cheap to buy an ethernet hub.

Comments

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    No one has any ideas for this problem?
  • edited July 2005
    Why do you have to restart whenever you hook up the ethernet cable, Tim? That should be a plug-n-play operation.

As far as why it's losing the o/c settings, you might check the battery voltage on that new battery and see what it reads now. Also, you might give a good look at all the caps and see if any are leaking or starting to bulge, indicating caps going bad.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    Ahh, the good ol' BP6. My father still uses my dual 366's @ 550 on my BP6. It has some cold boot issues as well, but not with retaining OC settings.

Probably the most pertinent question right now would be: When you loose your OC settings, does your cmos simply reset EVERYTHING back to defaults? or just the FSB/OC specific parameters?

If it appears to reset everything to defaults, I would check the battery voltage as mack recommended, and also ensure the 'clear cmos' jumper is not in the 'clear' position. If it is, you'll loose your settings at every cold boot.

If it is just some settings that are not being retained, I'd probably recommend that you try to flash to either a newer bios, or reflash your existing bios. After flashing, I'd remove the cmos battery for about 10-15 minutes to ensure it is cleared properly, and try again.

Let us know how it goes..
    edited July 2005
    The OC / FSB settings reset every time I turn it back on now. I don't think much else resets, but then again I just use the BP6 to run 2 instances of folding and very little else.

Whenever I plug in the ethernet cable to send / receive folding work packets, I have to reset my cable modem (power it off/on). Sometimes I don't have to restart the BP6, sometimes I do.

The clear cmos jumper is in the normal position. If I leave it in the "clear" position, the computer will do nothing if I try to turn it on.

I had this BP6 recapped by Abit back in January, and they gave me the newest RU BIOS version at the same time. I requested it.

But after 2 months the EC14 cap got a slight bulge in its top again. All the others look good, but they're still the junk "Tayeh" brand caps.

I have a complete set of good Jackcon caps to put in. Some of them are higher value caps by my special request after doing research at bp6.com . Someday I'll get around to it!

I'll check that battery voltage again.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Do you have another CMOS battery handy? I'd try swapping it out. Even if it's off an old dead MB it's worth a try.
    edited July 2005
    I tested the CMOS battery after the BP6 had been turned off for a couple days, and it showed 3.02 volts. I think that's a bit low. I remember testing it at about 3.20-3.22 volts when it was new, but that was only 6 months ago! :scratch:

May have been a bad battery or something. I can try replacing it and see how that goes.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    To avoid restarting your computer when you make an ethernet change, you can just refresh the IP address.

Go to a command prompt and type these two commands:
    ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

no restart necessary.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    or just right click on your lan connection icon and repair it, does the same thing