What's a good mid sized case to get?

panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hello all, I've been gone for awhile but I return now to ask you some advice about a new mid sized case. I have had a full size tower for awhile now but it's falling apart and it's really too large to move around easily. So I'm looking perhaps to get a mid tower this time.

This will be for an AMD 2500 system on a Abit NF7-S 2.0.

Also I need a new heatsink for that CPU. Any tips on a decent mid sized case and heatsink for that combo? Thanks.

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited July 2005
    how much do you have to spend?
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited July 2005
    I don't want to spend more than 80 for the case, and more than 30 for the heatsink
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited July 2005
    is there anything special you want in the case, do you have a power supply, do you want side panel window?

These heatsinks are suppposed to cool well:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118112
    edited July 2005
    Already have a power supply, don't need anything special like a window. Just need a nice sturdy functional case with some nice features like rounded edges and a pull out tray for the motherboard would be great

Unfortunately the heatsink you linked to is not compatible with my motherboard (Abit NF7-S)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    This should be a good case for dirt cheap. Aluminum, with removable motherboard tray for $20 before shipping. I've got one on the way myself :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811117029
    edited July 2005
    That case looks like a winner, thanks! Now how about a heatsink?
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    wow that case does look pretty nice!

Can't go wrong with arctic cooling :)
    edited July 2005
    Can't go wrong with Thermalright. The Cadillac of heatsinks. Except they're not made by GM, which means it might last you past the warranty :D

I don't have any experience with the heatpipe models that are currently being sold by Newegg, but I hear good things. They're supposedly better than my SLK-900 I'm so enamored with. I had a very decent OC on my NF7-S with my Thermalright heatsink :thumbsup:
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited July 2005
    Second what Gargoyle says, I've got an SP94 on a very overvolted XP barton (1.85v). @ full load it says it's 52c on one of the hottest days of the year. The 900, 947 & 948 are all really good hfs & can be had quite cheaply atm.

As for a case I'd go for an Antec slk3000 myself, they're dirt cheap but have very good airflow & are silent.
    edited July 2005
    Alright the case just arrived.

Now here;s the thing about the heatsink. I have an SLK-800 but for some reason the heatsink won't fit tightly over the CPU anymore. I can actually slide it around when it's clipped on. Should I try bending the clip a bit to see if I can get it on tighter?

I can't stend the case upright because of this untight fit. Or should I just get a new heatsink?
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited July 2005
    Bend the clip to put more tension on it I say. :)
    edited July 2005
    unfortunately I can't seem to bend the clip. I can't stand the case upright without the system stopping.

A perfectly good SLK-800 ruined by a slack clip :mad:
    edited July 2005
    Contact Thermalright. They sent me a new clip when I lost the one for my ALX-800. It was a new and better designed clip, too. :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    Alright I sent an email to support at thermalright and hopefully they can help me out.

I actually tried removing the clip from the heatsink but I couldn't manage it.

Case itself is great. I reassembled my system with no hassle.

My one niggle is that the power supply plate had to be turned upside down for my antec power supply, and so I was only able to replace 3 of the 4 thumbscrews, but that isn't a big deal. I'll also need to get some screws for my case fans because my old case had some plastic frames that I could just snap the fans into.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    hm i usually find that calling companies is tons faster than emailing them. When they say "Your email will be responded to promptly within 24 hours", they mean 24 hours at the minimum :p