Broadband–Can someone explain it to me?

vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
edited July 2005 in Science & Tech
“‘Splain it to me Lucy.” I’m looking for a faster ISP. I’m currently on AOL only because it came free with a computer purchase from Dell. I have NO access to cable, DSL, etc. I live in a relatively rural area (no cable) and the phone company says no high speed lines are currently available (in fact, our current lines are not in good shape, have problems in the rain, etc., although I’m only 18 miles from downtown Indianapolis). I usually connect at 24K to 26K through my modem.

BUT, my wife recently installed what she calls ‘broadband.” She is still using a regular phone line, but claims it is 10 times as fast (she states she is downloading at 240K). She states she plugs something into her laptop (a device that also permits wireless access although we have no wireless service) and logs on to company ISP.

I have always ignored the broadband offers because I figured I needed something beyond a regular phone line for access. But now I’m not sure. I have a relatively new computer (512 RAM at 2.52 Ghz, P4) so right now the modem/phone line is the bottleneck.

Can anyone explain what broadband is and how it works (in simple terms)? My wife knows even less than me about computers, so maybe she is using something other than broadband.

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Technically, broadband is a term describing communication over multiple channels (called multiplexing). So, if you apply the literal definition, even a modem is "broadband"

However, in real life, broadband refers to high speed internet access over either DSL or Cable (for all intents and purposes. There are others, but these are by far the most common).

You cannot make a dial up "faster" all of the sudden. You cannot make a dialup turn into a broadband connection.

Chances are your wife is connecting to her company's network via a VPN (Virtual Private Network), unless for some reason she actually DOES have DSL all of the sudden, despite the local telco's claim that DSL isn't available.

What is the actual make and model of the device she is plugging in? If I knew that, I could definitely explain what exactly is going on here. :)
  • vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
    edited July 2005
    Thanks for the quick response, primesuspect.

I'll get more information later today or tonight.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    She might be using what is called a 'download accelerator'.

This is a program that modifies your browser settings (or comes with it's own version of browser or FTP) so that you can create more 'connections' to a particular server. This can create some increased speed, at the expence of the stability of whatever server you are accessing.

Here's the thing:

When you are browsing or downloading, you make more than one (usually about 10) connections to the server with the information. If you increased that to 100 connections, you would notice a slight increase in speed. The downfall of this is that each server can only handle so many connections at a time, so if you increase your number of connections, then you are taking up more than your fair share of server connections. If everyone did this, then servers would have to spend more money on their equipment, and the internet would get more expencive for everyone.

Unfortunately, there are some companies (ahem... NetZero... ahem... lionsinabucket... ahem... ) who don't think that it is a problem to sell software which increases your number of connections up into the thousands in order to make your service seem faster. They advertize this software as a conversion package which allows your modem to acheive broadband speeds.
    edited July 2005
    On a related note:

If you are looking for real broadband service in your area, you can get Satelite Broadband no matter where you are.

Well, unless you're underground...
  • vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
    edited July 2005
    Okay, here is the deal.

I was wrong when I said it wasn't wireless, 'cause it is. It is verison wireless. The plug-in is a "Broadband Access/National Access PC Card." Also says VZACCESS and V620. Wife says it is the same thing as a cell phone connection.

Now, can someone give me a few more details on this?

Thanks,

Jim
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    vanagon40 wrote:
    ...Now, can someone give me a few more details on this?...
    See if this info helps. :)
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    looks like it's the EV-DO card.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Yep, she's got broadband over the cellular network. See? Broadband IS available in your area! ;)
    edited July 2005
    Oh, well then I was way off!
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Those things cost out the wazoo on your cellular plan minute-wise, plus the terms of use are somewhat restrictive (web and e-mail only, no games, no irc, no p2p, etc.)

-drasnor :fold: