Install as service

SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
edited July 2005 in Folding@Home
I just got the P4 3.0GHz folding but I'm having a problem with the no-nonsense client. I said to install as a service, but it didn't seem to work. I have to have the DOS window open in order for the Core to be running. I want this to be as hidden as possible and I know that that's why the No-Nonsense client was made. How can I get it to fold as a service after F@H has already been installed?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    ...I have to have the DOS window open in order for the Core to be running. I want this to be as hidden as possible and I know that that's why the No-Nonsense client was made. How can I get it to fold as a service after F@H has already been installed?
    During the installation, one of the questions it asks is "Run as service after restart". If you answered "Yes" to that then all you need to do is reboot and it should start right up. If not, you can:

A) Look in your list of available services. If the console appears there, make sure it is set to "Automatic"

B) You can re-run the console with the -configonly switch and modify your answers to the setup program.

C) If the console service does not appear in your list of available services you will need to reinstall it. Check your EMIII thread for my advice on doing that.

:smokin:
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited July 2005
    Allright, I reinstalled and it is running as a service now. I'm currently on a p888, but it hasn't completed a frame yet and it's been running for probably 20 minutes. These are small WU's so it should be zipping through them! I opened Taskmanager and F@H is only using 50% of CPU. On this computer it's usually between 90 and 99. I believe that this is why it's not going through the frames quickly. It's a P4 3.0GHz with HT, what can I do to get it to use all the CPU cycles? System is using the other half.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited July 2005
    It's a P4 3.0GHz with HT, what can I do to get it to use all the CPU cycles? System is using the other half.

Run a second client.

Because the system thinks that you have 2 CPUs FAH only runs on one processor. But that gives you the ability to run 2 clients at once.

Setting up 2 clients is easy, look around for the instructions to install FAH on a multiple CPU rig.

"g"
    edited July 2005
    Can I just DL another client and save it to a different folder?
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited July 2005
    Yes - and when it asks about machine id change to a 2 :fold: Jack
    edited July 2005
    ok thanks
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited July 2005

FYI, you don't need to DL another, just copy the one you have to a different folder.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited July 2005
    Don't forget to use the -local flag on those clients otherwise they might get screwed up tying to look for work from the same folder.

"g"
    edited July 2005
    How do you use the -local flag?
    edited July 2005
    Don't worry about the flag in the 502-console version. When doing the install make sure it's in another folder. When you get to the "Change advanced options" prompt say "yes", then look for the machine ID prompt and change it to "2".
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited July 2005
    How do you use the -local flag?

For future reference... You would type it like this:

fah502-console -local

I always use the -local switch but I don't think it matters as long as your configuration file is correct. Here are some examples of different ways to run the console version using the -advmethods flag, all will get you the same result.

fah502-console -local -advmethods

fah502-console.exe -local -advmethods

fah502-console -advmethods

fah502-console.exe -advmethods

Hope this helps! :D

Geoff
    edited July 2005
    ok thanks. It's getting late now but tomorrow I'll start running another instance. Hopefully I won't get as many crap WU's as I'm getting this on this computer (little 60 pointers). Those would better-suit my Celeron which is trying to handle a 210 pointer now, and I doubt I'll get it in by the deadline.
    edited July 2005
    FWIW, lately I've been getting a lot of the rinky-dink WU's on every machine, whether a dog or a beast. Stanford sends these out in cycles, so I would imagine the big pointers will be back around eventually. :)
    edited July 2005
    Damn maybe I should hook up the Celery tomorrow and get one of those little buggers on there.
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited July 2005
    Damn maybe I should hook up the Celery tomorrow and get one of those little buggers on there.
    I don't know why but when it comes to this stuff I guess tomorrow isn't part of me. I seem to always think YESTERDAY. If I call someone for help or if I'm doing the work myself - I think, "I need this done, LIKE YESTERDAY"! I don't sleep well with tomorrow hanging over my head. I have had to wait all weekend for a new video capture pci card. I wanted that last Thursday. I ordered it last Friday. Man this is frustrating. :confused: Oh, I can pick up the card later this afternoon - I should have had it in and working this morning at least. :D Jack