No post.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Arghhh, the kids PC has been working on a 600 point WU and has around three hours to go and it has died. When I press the start button the power and HDD lights come on but that's it. No beep and nothing on the screen. After a minute or so the HDD light goes out and that's it. I have checked all the connections and reset the Bios. The red LED on the motherboard is lit and when I press the start button the green one comes on, pressing the reset does nothing. What can I look at next guys?
NF7s, 1.4 Athlon, 1Gb RAM.

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2005
    I've left everything to cool down and tried again. I pressed the reset a few times, after the third time I got this on the screen
    ATTENTION
    OUT OF RANGE
    H: .3KHz V: 351.1KHz

Does that mean anything to anybody?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    I believe that should be the monitor's on screen display. The video card is outputting a signal that the monitor does not recognize as valid.

Hmm, might be a good idea to start unplugging components one at a time, however it sounds like it could be the mainboard.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Bothered.. what you are working this week mate..? :)

Call me! :thumbsup:
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited July 2005
    Shorty wrote:
    Bothered.. what you are working this week mate..? :)

Call me! :thumbsup:

That'll be the S-M version of the R.A.C. ;D
    edited July 2005
    It makes you so glad to be a member too.
    I did a google for 'no post' and one of the first listings were to SM. :)
    No beep says, 1. No beep at all - this means your motherboard is dead, either due to a defective or underpowered power supply, poorly seated CPU or RAM, or a dead-on-arrival board.
    I do hope it's the PSU. I've a spare so I'll go through it.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Could be a mangled graphics card, hence the crazy screenmode and unrealistic frequencies it is trying to use...
    edited July 2005
    But if it was the graphics card I would get one long two short beeps, I'm getting no beeps at all. Acording to what I found no beeps at all means the motherboard is dead, either from defective PSU (checks out ok, all voltages correct) poorly seated CPU or RAm (all reseated and slots changed) or board is dead.
    It's looking like my 4 month old NF7s has died. I wish I'd kept the reciept!
    edited July 2005
    I did notice a mark on the CPU die, it looked like a small square of white print but too small to make out, I don't remember seeing it before. BTW, it's a Sempron 2400 not an Athlon 1.4. Is this mark normal or does it indicate the CPU is knackered?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2005
    I would swap the video card first. I know I know what you googled for but... But if the card is alive but outputs a sigtnal out of range of the monitor then its not gonna follow that beep code. The MB would think the video was fine.

The video signal out of range would make that the number one suspect. Not saying its not a dead cpu or MB but the video card would be what I would swap out first.

Tex
    edited July 2005
    OK, cheers Tex, I'll have to see if I can borrow another card. The motherboard and CPU are only four months old but the graphics card (Geforce 4 TI4600) is about 4\5 years old.
    edited July 2005
    Thanks again Tex, you were right. Thanks Enverex, so were you.
    Mr Shorty came round with a selection of spares (what a gent :thumbsup: )
    We changed the graphics card and got a beep and a display but it still wouldn't boot. The bios just hangs. After trying several other things and elimanating everything we could it looks like the graphics card has gone and taken the motherboard with it. Oh well, at least now I know what bits to get.
    Thanks again all.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Jimborae wrote:
    That'll be the S-M version of the R.A.C. ;D
    .. with a van load of parts.. ;D

Sadly, this one is a write off :rolleyes:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    SM to the rescue :p

:ukflag:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2005
    Shorty wrote:
    .. with a van load of parts.. ;D

You wouldn't have a boat with a long range tank loaded with parts too, hmmm?? :)

Sorry to hear about your predicament, Bothered. :(