best Free DVD player

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Internet & Media
Want to play dvd's on my new lappy but just looking for the best free player

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    windows media player classic works for me.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2005
    not windows media player classic, just "media player classic", or MPC

zoomplayer also does a good job
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    nDVD at the top of the page.... haven't tried it personnally, but heard it is the best for free!

http://www.dnsoft.be/
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited July 2005
    I have always liked zoom player
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Mpc.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2005
    For free, I'd agree and say Media Player Classic.

If I had my choice, though, I would not recommend it at all. It's great for video files, only passable for DVDs. For DVDs I really prefer PowerDVD 6 to it, but it's not free, either.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    hmm I guess I never got around to replying to entropy -- when powerDVD, WMP, and ATI's MMC all failed to play my Snatch DVD correctly, MPC had no problem. with its abundance of built in decoders, it really can't be beat. with that said, its not very good unless paired with a good set of codecs (not for DVDs of course), but I'm going to shy away from the norm and not recommend the community codec pack (CCCP). I've had wierd lag issues, which I think has to do with a bad integration of vsfilter, so instead I'm going to recommend DefilerPak, which just had a new release to coincide with a new SSE release of FFDshow. all in all, the most minimal codec setup you'll find
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    A lot of the HTPC builders on AVSForums go with Zoomplayer for some reason (probably for its FFDshow compatibility) - since they're AV snobs and like to upconvert all of their DVDs to HD resolutions. :D