Cooling a Specific Video Card

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Hardware
I have a strange video card so I am unsure what to buy for it. When I bought it, it was supposed to be a Radeon 9800 Pro, however afterwards I found it to be a Radeon 9800 XT. What I was told is that it's a modified Radeon 9800 Pro with an XT core?

Maybe someone knows what I mean, it's a MSI Radeon 9800 Pro(with XT core of course). I am looking for some good cooling for it, I just don't wanna buy something that won't work for it becuase of it's strangeness. I can hardly get it to XT speeds with the default cooler so I want more.

I don't have any Water cooling stuff, so it's gotta be air.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    The MSI 9800 Pro is automatically recognized as an XT after driver install. My friend's did when he got his after I told him to get that card.

Anything that supports a 9800 Pro should be fine.

http://www.svc.com/avc-at1.html
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I'm thinking of buying this little toy...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186110

Anyone ever use it?
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    RWB,
    I haven't used that model Arctic Cooling Silencer, but I did use the 5 for my old AGP eVGA 6800GT. It worked very well.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited July 2005
    Yep they're good & will work well with your card. Had one on my 9800pro/xt.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I just bought it... I was tempted by others, but I just kinda felt this might just be what I needed. Plus they claimed it drops case temps, and I need more cooling in my case.

Unfortunatly, other than watercooling, I doubt I can get any better cooling in my system anytime soon. And I hope the stuff I have now will be able to continue on when I do a full upgrade. Unless I decide to go all out on cooling as well :D

Or... buy a laptop. :ninja:

Either way, I hope I get my order in by Friday. I know that when I used to order from them a year or so ago that I would usually get my order in that same week if I ordered before Wednesday.
  • edited November 2005
    I have a radeon 9800 pro and installed an ati silencer 1 - rev 2 on it. Problem is that it does not cool the ram on your video card at all, so whenever the card is under a bit of stress (e.g. gaming), it heats up so much that the system crashes.
    In fact the memory on my card gets so hot I can barely touch it.
    The rev 3 seems to cool the whole card. How did it work out for you ?