Need a bit of help with Excel and invoices

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Science & Tech
One. I have to make an invoce for my dad's work every 15 days. How do I set so that I can start a new invoice with the same template as the one before?

Two. Usually each delivery he does is a certain price but sometimes there are deliveries that are at a different time and cost more. Anyone know how can I set Excel to add a asterik to a seperate colum if the colum before it adds a certain amount to the price of the colum before that?

Explanation: Date - Straight Bill of Lading - Job # - Price - Extended price. The price is usually $35 but you have to add $5 if he has to fill some paperwork and $30 if the delivery is between 6pm and 7am. How do I make so it adds an asterik (or something to notify the additional charge) if the extended price is not the default $35?

Three. Is there any program that makes these delivery invoices less of a hassle? There are a crapload of deliveries and it took my parents like a week to just do the recent batch.

TIA :)

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Quickbooks Pro.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I really doubt my dad's gonna spend $300 on a program. :-/
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Well, you asked, and that's the answer :p

Your dad has to make the choice that anybody who conducts business for themselves has to make - yes, $329 is a lot of money for software. I could barely afford it when I bought it, but the value of the program is in saving you time - I can send out 200 invoices in 3 minutes. Is my time every month worth $329? Over the years I've used Quickbooks, it has paid for itself hundreds of times over, because of the time that it saves me.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Excel can make some of this easier, if your father is unewilling to purchase the really good tools.

One. You can easily create a template by creating a blank invoice and saving it as blankinvoice.xls (or whatever) and starting from there each time.

Two. Look up how to use the IF function in excel (the Excel help is very useful) and play around with it for a bit. You'll be able to use that to add conditional statements, which is what you need.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    CBDroege wrote:
    One. You can easily create a template by creating a blank invoice and saving it as blankinvoice.xls (or whatever) and starting from there each time.

You should probably save it as a .xlt instead of .xls, but everything else he said was right.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited July 2005
    file > save as > save as type: Template