Nforce2 sound line in boost

JAZJAZ UK
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I use my PC to rip my old analog cassettes to wav then encode them to mp3, I connect the tape deck directly to the line in of my inbuilt soundstorm on my Abit NF7-S & the way I have it setup I can hear the music as its recording (line out to stereo amplifier).
I have a problem that's really starting to annoy me now though, I use Cool Edit Pro to record & obviously the volume of the source (cassette deck) is controlled through the windows mixer (or the NVMixer it makes no difference which).
You would think that if I set the line in slider to 0 then no sound would come through (this is the case with my cheapo soundblaster but I dont use that as I cant set it up to hear whats being recorded using the setup above) however with the Soundstorm I can put it on 0 but its still really loud.
Here for example is a screen grab of a tape I just recorded to wav with the line in at 0.
Image1.jpg
Ok you can see that the levels are not too bad at this part of the tape & the dynamic range is being used to it's max with only minor clipping of the extreme bass drum hits, however a bit further into the mix the levels have increased a few db's & I am experiancing clipping & as the level is allready at 0 I cant compensate by lowering the input level & the clipped parts therefore lose the extra "hit" or "impact" because the dynamic range has all been used up.
Is there a hidden setting that I have missed that will sort this problem out? Or is the Soundstorm just badly made & for some stupid reason boosts whatever you put into it (like a mic boost?)
Just playing the tape without recording shows in the NVMixer that the levels are not peaking anywhere above 3/4's of the max in the vu meters so I think it must be being boosted.
Does anyone know a work around for this?
I have experianced this problem with all the versions of the drivers I have tried & now I'm getting sick of having to pull the PC out of its hole up against the wall as the leads are so tightly stretched pulling it out involves unplugging it all which is a real pain.
Hopefully someone can help me & thanks for taking the time to read through my problem.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    On my nvmixer there is a mic boost on the first 'tab' with a dropdown box with different inputs and a slider to adjust volume.

What about the normal windows sound icon. The one that looks like a small speaker? Where is that one set at?
  • JAZJAZ UK
    edited July 2005
    Hi, firstly thanks for looking in.
    Right; the volume speaker setting has no effect on the recording, I can however use it to increase/decrease the volume that comes through my speakers but it has no effect on the recording level (i.e. I put it at 0 & can no longer hear the music through my speakers but the waveform stays the same).
    I can see that tab you pointed to & yes mic boost is unticked & from the drop down I have chosen "line in" & it too is at 0, if I move that up & down with the windows recording mixer open it moves in sync with the NVMixer line in input volume so they are obviouslly controlling the same thing.

There is some good news though from messing with these controls I have just discovered that I can record from stereo mix & it's giving me on this tape at 0 input volume -10db peak whereas the line in at 0 input volume is giving me spikes above 0db.
    I suppose I could just record loud tapes via stereo mix allthough this isnt an ideal situation as stereo mix will record anything else thats playing through my PC (beeps from programs etc but I turn those off anyway) & looking at a recording without playing a tape theres more "noise" from that input (again though I can get a noise profile from it & remove it afterwards), so allthough this problems not quite as pressing as when I first posted if anyone knows a way to stop the line in boost I'll be very happy.