Visual C++ .NET Express Beta 2

edited July 2005 in Internet & Media
hi, does anyone know if there is a way to compile a script in this without making it compile using the .net framework, i am just trying to make a simple command prompt, the hello world project, but a computer cannot run it if it doesnt have .net framework 2.0 beta 2 which is what i have. So does anyone know how i can make it compile WITHOUT the framework, as it does not need it.

Thanks,
Flamez

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    You can't compile without it. C++/C#/VB.net Express betas (and ALL .net development environments) require the correct version of the .NET framework.

The .NET framework compiles the executable to an intermediate language (IL). When this executable is run, this IL language is passed to the .NET framework to be compiled to machine code. This process is passing the IL runtime to a JIT (just in time compiler).

If you want to use .NET tools, you must understand the requirements & limitations that are inherit with requiring a runtime environment :)

The other option is to look at a non runtime dependant C++ (eg.. Borland).
  • edited July 2005
    So, even if i dont use the visual side of the visual c++ program, and code evertyhing myself, its still going to compile it using .net because thats how its made?
    edited July 2005
    Depends on which version of Visual C++ you are using. In this case, you are using the version that is dependant on the .NET framework. This is dependant. Older versions I believe were not :)

You are using the product regardless of using the graphical interface or not :)
  • edited July 2005
    Well, since you suggested Borland, which is the best one that they have. Price does not matter as my company will pay for it.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    2002 might have been the last version w/o the .Net framework, maybe before that even. It was VS 6.0 before VS.net. But yeah, on install of VS.net, you have to install the .net framework.

I have only used VS.net and G++ comiler on Unix before.
  • edited July 2005
    And for the borland, which do you suggest i get.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I don't believe this is true. I use Visual Studio .NET 2003 and I can tell it to link against the standard Win32 libraries instead of .NET by selecting "Debug Win32" or "Retail Win32" from the build menu instead of "Debug .NET" or "Retail .NET". Going from VS 6 to VS 2002 or 2003 just means you have the option of building .NET if you want to.

I did a custom install of Visual Studio since I don't need most of the stuff it comes with (MSDN, Crystal Reports, .NET, remote debugging, etc.) and chose not to include the libraries for building .NET applications. It is possible.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited July 2005
    I stand corrected on the full Visual Studio 2003 installation :)

This thread is explicitly talking about C++ express which to my knowledge only allows .NET :)
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I haven't used Express so I wouldn't know, just noticed the comment on the full version was contradictory to personal experience :).

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited July 2005
    On the express version it does not have a Debug .NET, only a Debug Win32, and Retail Win32. But if i try put the programs on a computer that does not have .net framework 2.0 beta 2, it says Incorrect installation blah blah error.
    edited July 2005
    Sounds like my deduction (from using it) was correct. It requires some components that are in .NET :(