Video Quality problem

edited July 2005 in Hardware
I have an Geforce FX5200 PCI graphics card.
I have updated it and it works usually fine.

But now when i watch any type of video (DVD, online videos etc.)
on any program, i get bad quality and it is never in bad quality.

The screen appears quite bright when i watch the video's and the pixel colours dont look right.

I have used many differnt programs of watching videos on.

I would be grateful for any help :thumbsup:

Tom wells-day

Comments

• JAZJAZ UK
    edited July 2005
    I use an ATI card so cant be sure if you have the same options on an NVidia card but with mine I can open a video file then goto my display properties & theres a "overlay" tab with controls for the videos brightness/gamma/contrast etc, perhaps you have increased some of these options to high limits & that's why the files are looking strange, worth checking incase that's your problem.
  • edited July 2005
    Nah, i cant do anythin with tha file...

the image is bright and the pixels are all wrong.

U can make out the picture but the pixels are wrong colour.

I think it just need to be a bit less lighter and higher video quality.
  • JAZJAZ UK
    edited July 2005
    If its just on all video files as far as I can see it has to either be the overlay settings, a driver issue (try reinstalling/changing vid card drivers) or you have perhaps installed lots of codecs some of which are conflicting (take as many off as you can & install only the ones you need).
    If none of those help then I cant think of anything else.
  • edited July 2005
    Ok refresh ma mind what is a codec.

I knew what they were ages ago but i forget.
  • edited July 2005
    also how do i change the overlay settings.

Im playing a dvd now at it looks very wrong.
  • JAZJAZ UK
    edited July 2005
    Codecs are what you install to play/encode different types of video files (divx xvid wma mpeg, etc) to play each type you need a different codec.
    If you perhaps installed one of those giant codec packs full of codecs you dont need, & installed another load as well then they are known to mess each other up on occasions.
    I think your best bet to try is to update your video card drivers & see if that solves it first though.
  • edited July 2005
    yeah i have updated ma video driver.

And i have only got 1 codec pack.
  • JAZJAZ UK
    edited July 2005
    I said in the first post I dont own a Nvidia card so I'm not familiar with the settings on that card, but my overlay settings are in display properties/settings/advanced & look for overlay settings in the Nvidia options, you must start a video file before it will let you change the overlay settings.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    ...i have only got 1 codec pack.
    Try the Codec Pack All in 1 v6.0.2.7 and see if that helps.

The suggestions regarding overlay are definitely worth checking out, too. :)
  • edited July 2005
    The problem lies within the newest nVidia drivers (77.72), I recently updated and reverted because of the problem. The really bad thing about it is that my games actually ran much smoother with these drivers... Keep in mind this problem occurs not only within the FX series but also within the 6800 series. ( I have an eVga 6800.)

Found a solution:

A temporary fix here for people with the video overlay problem. This does fixes it so long as you don't change the gamma settings back to Video Overlay or Desktop.

Right-click on the desktop and select Properties.

From the Display Properties select Settings.

Click Advanced.

Click on the GeForce tab (this will be your video card model... example.. GeForce 6800 Ultra)

Click on Color Correction

There should be a drop down menu top left with Desktop, Video Overlay, and All. Select All from the dropdown box this should set everything to driver default and click Apply. And your video overlay gamma should be fixed.

Please note: This is the only temporary fix that will work with everything and, depending on your system, you might find yourself adjusting it everytime you restart your computer.
  • edited July 2005
    hey thanx every1

yeah something about updating the new drivers i think might be
    what is wrong caus ei have had a very simlar problem before and it was coz of the update.

But im downloading the codec pack right now

and also i found the overlay setting and set them to defaults.

If this works this will be like the 5th time
    my computer has been saved from a random
    computer forum :P

www.techspot.com

this website is good on tha forums.
    gotta problem go there if u cant
    get an answer here. they have helped
    me 3 times b4.