Poor poor EQ2

TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
edited July 2005 in Gaming
So back when EQ2 came out I was really excited and bought the game. It had its problems, but I still liked it more than any of the other options. nevertheless, I ended up quitting, and just recently I noticed they're offering a 10 day free trial for previous subscribers to get you to try out all the new content (which is, by the way, superb). Plus, I just wanted to see how it looked on my new X800XT :D.

anyway, bottom line, this game has completely failed. there is no server with anything but a light load. now granted, its midnight where I am, and perhaps it'd be a little better during the day, but an MMO is no fun if there's no one to play it with! I just think its too bad that all the updates they've made to the game are going to waste due to lack of subscribers

Comments

• tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited July 2005
    Seems that's the new ploy for MORPGs - to get old subscribers come back - Asherons Call is doing the same - they just launched an expansion and you get 30 day free trial, old account holders coming back get 60 days
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    WoW is the piranha of the MMORPG Amazon.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Preacher wrote:
    WoW is the piranha of the MMORPG Amazon.

Piranha? So far it appears to be more like the illegal industrial logger.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I knew EQ2 would fail. No good can ever come from splitting your customer base, particularly when you force them to choose between friends and 'Progress.'
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited July 2005
    I fear something similar might happens with City of Heroes when City of Villians comes out, but the two games will be able to interact with each other.

Now I just have to deal with the enormous nerfs upcoming in the next content issue.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    CoH and CoV will work marvelously hand-in-hand. It'll work great.. But if CoV couldn't, at all, interact with CoH, and you had to drop all progress with your CoH character to play CoV, that'd be more like EQ -> EQ2.

Imagine playing an MMO for over five years, building a huge friend base, putting hundreds of hours on your character. Getting great gear, great spells and abilities and stuff.. You know, generally enjoying all of the game you're paying for. Suddenly, the owner of that game announces that there's a sequel coming out. All the progress you've made in the first game will have to be abandoned to play the sequel.. Those hundreds of hours, all that gear, it doesn't mean anything. Furthermore, half your friends decide to go play it, and your guild falls apart.. You have no people to do anything with, the population on the server drops drastically, and it's a giant wasteland.

That's what happened to EQ when EQ2 came out at the same time as WoW.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I was wondering why there were only 3 people in Northern Qeynos when I started my 10 day temp account up again after spending two days of downloading updates ;D

I dunno, the game was blurry to me and i couldn't get the graphics to look right on my 9800XT(I know I can't run it full blast in detail).... :( I just don't have the time for many games right now.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    SOE == Failed MMORPGS

They killed EQ, they killed SWG, they're gonna kill MxO. They suck.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2005
    also, planetside could have been very cool. Now I'm waiting for the Dungeons and Dragons MMO. I figure if it's at least partially good that it will have an enormous fanbase. because the graphics DEFINITELY look better than WoW, and plus you'll have all the diehard D&D nerds (yes, they still exist) that will play it ALL THE TIME

also, I can beat you -- 0 people besides me in West Freeport... thats a ****ing PORTAL ZONE, THERE USED TO BE 100s IN THERE AT ONE TIME
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    i liked eq2 and still like it. i thought it was a great game, the only problem i had with it was that it wasnt really very hard. if your in a group that is the same lvl as the mob your going to win if you dont suck, they just didnt make you think about what your were doing. aside from that i really liked the crafting and all that. ide sill be playing if all my friends hadnt played wow.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2005
    ' wrote:
    [V][AGIC']ide sill be playing if all my friends hadnt played wow.
    and that right there is why the game is dying
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    played eq2 and eq

EQ was MUCH better than EQ2 but WoW owns all
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    wow and eq2 are equal they both have things the other doesnt, just wow took off more... thats it