Error message: Is it ram?

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Every now and then, on my parents computer while using internet explorer, and error message comes up saying "the instruction at "0x77279a83" referenced memory at "0x7d4b8918". The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the program". I have no idea what it was, and the fact that it says the memory could not be lead, makes me think that the memory could be dying. I ran memtest but it found no errors. Any other ideas?

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    i think its the operating systems fault.

I didnt edit that, i dont care what you say ;)
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    i also think software related, b/c i have 1gb of pc4400 in an ic7-g that will give me the same type of error message when i close out abitEQ only. all other appss/programs work fine, and it passes memtest+ no problem. also have checked it in another rig where it passes memtest+, and has absolutely no errors on any app.

i have also tried unistallin/reinstalling abitEQ, registry cleaner, etc... i bet a re-format and re-install of XP would take care of it, but for now i just ignore it....
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2005
    Its a windows problem.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    What version of windows is this?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited July 2005
    its xp home I believe. It might be professional, but I know it has all of the updates, including SP2
    edited July 2005
    hmmm...I dont know why, did you say it was home built or did ya get it from the like of hp or sony. cause my parents hp is startin to have some little errors and crap, really pissin me off. especially when they paid $2300 for the system and I only paid a little over $500 for mine and its running like a trooper, not a error yet. :thumbsup:
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    $2300 for an hp? my parents got theirs for around $1100-$1200 I think. Its the a500y custom one that you "customize" yourself.
  • edited July 2005
    $2300 for any HP is absolutely ridiculous. for $2300 I could build a pc that would outdo anything.
    edited July 2005
    precisely :cool:
    edited July 2005
    Thats what I told them, but they didnt believe me untill I built around 6 computers that would run circles around theirs for family and friends. they have a a475c that they bought at sams, it was when the 3.2 just came out and it had all the bells and whistles, I still could've built it for a lot less than 2300 :D
    edited July 2005
    wow unless it has some super-plasma dvd burner, 10 raptors, and a fx900million, its not worth $2300.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    tmh88: I have had errors like that in Windows 2000 as well. In my situation, it was McAfee Virusscan that was the culpret. It is not always an indication of hardware fault, but I would still recommend a few full loops of Memtest86+ just to be sure.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited July 2005
    I already ran memtest86 a few times and it found nothing. I found an internet explorer upgrade and installed it, and so far that error hasnt come up. Usually it shows up about once a day, but hasnt come up yet in 2 days.
    edited July 2005
    no....hp just ripped them off just cause it came with a $500 screen. but i still didnt think it was worth it.
    edited July 2005
    im gonna say (again) that it is either windows problem or a faulty app.