Opinions on Asus K8N motherboard

khankhan New
edited July 2005 in Hardware
As usual, I appear before the tribunal seeking approval for a possible purchase:
good/bad experiences with this bad boy?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131512

(the guy who I was going to buy the stuff from last time fell through)

I'm torn because my choice of motherboard will affect the socket of the chip I need (cheaper = better, but 939 = cooler (temps and awesome factor)) and the type of graphics card I get...AGP is fine by me because if I drop 200+ bucks on a card I won't be upgrading it for the next 2-3 years or so, and when I do I'd probably replace the whole system. Is PCI-E really all that hot?

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    Well you can get about literly the same performance from an AGP card that is native PCI-E. So if you want a AGP board then you can still get an X850 XT AGP card to put in it. I am not sure how much more AGP is going to be around after the new get of cards from nV and the upcoming R520.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2005
    get the K8N, a 3000+, and an X800XL. thats a respectable and overclockable system that will last you for years
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I recently helped my step-son put a new system together and it is working out very nicely with the following;

MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
    SAPPHIRE 100105-BL Radeon X800XL 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2005
    thats basically a second of what I said -- I however have first hand experience with a K8N, and can recommend it as an excellent enthusiast board (it also gets along a lot nicer than the DFI boards with certain configurations)