Panasonic PV-DV202-K Video Capture Problems

edited August 2005 in Internet & Media
hey im having trouble with my camcorder. I tried to get help from Panasonic but that is HARD to do. So I hope this is tha right place for assistance, any and all help is very my appreciated. That said:

Model- Panasonic PV-DV202-K
Operating System- XP
Software- Sonic MyDVD, Windows Movie Maker

alright i installed the driver. and when i connect it to tha computer VIA usb, it shows up on tha DEVICE MANAGER and it says "capture" on tha camcorder screen when i switch it to VCR mode. However when I try to capture it through software it says it doesnt detect a video capture device.

So I try going through Firewire. And tha same thing happens in both software. Only this time it doesnt even show up in tha DEVICE MANAGER. I toke tha camera to The Source and they said everything in the camera MENU looks fine.

by the way
* the picture mode seems to work fine (can transfer pics)
* the webcam mode also doesnt seem to work

does anyone know how to help me? I really need this fixed by Saturday. THANKYOU 4 your time!

Comments

• edited July 2005
    PLEASE!!!! its very urgent.... throw me a bone. ANYONE know why this is happening?!?!
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited July 2005
    I had the same problem with my Panasonic camcorder. Try it in a different computer. For some reason this computer wasn't compatible and capturing it on the other one worked.
  • edited July 2005
    but if thats tha case, then theres no way to fix it???
  • edited July 2005
    it worked like a year or 2 ago, but now it doesnt!!
  • edited July 2005
    please dont sleep on this!!!! its been a week... and i STILL need help!!! :(
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    If your camcorder supports DV over 1394 then try using a piece of software that supports that. I found that Nero 6 Ultra Edition did a great job getting the recorded movies off my sister's DV camcorder without any extra drivers (just using the industry standard 1394DV interface).

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited July 2005
    thanks 4 tha reply, plz forgive me but im not really TECH inclined... um what does that mean... 1394DV interface??

and by the way does this relate to my problems with my computer not detecting tha camera??

thanks again, plz respond
    edited July 2005
    If your camera has a Firewire port than it supports some flavor of IEEE1394 (an industry standard). There are various other "extensions" of the Firewire IEEE1394 protocol like Ethernet over 1394, DV (digital video/audio) over 1394, SB2 (mass storage) over 1394, etc. If your camera uses some wierd driver for a unique, vendor-proprietary "XXX over 1394" then you're on your own but DV over 1394 is supported by most recent video editing and DVD authoring programs.

• edited July 2005
    ok im sorry i dont understand a thing you just said :(

so does this mean try that software u suggested or what?
    edited July 2005
    Rather than spending your money on more software I would take the camera back to where I got it and get a different, better-supported camera because I can't say for certain more software will help.

• edited July 2005
    well ive had it for like 1 and a half year so.... thats outta tha question

its worked before, i dont get it! :(:confused:
    edited July 2005
    We (my boss and I) just mailed a camera back to the manufacturer for repair because it was the only one in a lot that behaved like this (wouldn't talk to the computer). It just started behaving that way too. If your camera was working and then suddenly just stopped working without you changing anything on the computer side, odds are your camera is broken. Sorry.

• edited July 2005
    hmmm thats messed up!!!

i mean it works, it tapes stuff and all that.

What do you mean by broken? and can i return it?!
  • edited July 2005
    Goto your local electronics store and ask them to explain firewire ports, IEEE1394, dvLink, iLink and learn as much about is as you can.

Did your camcorder capture video before try downloading these codecs plus Microsoft DV Encoder if you don't know where it is type "Download Microsoft DV Encoder" in Yahoo. It should show a Microsoft website do not go to the others ones because It's not official.

and download
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=abde1e02-b529-469e-ae6a-7417fcde9e12&displaylang=en
    after your done with the other codecs and encoders. Maybe you just don't have the codecs "A type of way of playing your video" for short.
  • edited July 2005
    thanks im currently downloading: WM9codecs.exe (codec installation package) and WMEncoder Series.... then after that ima try and download DOA 4 XBOX360 video.

Ill give this a shot and reply after i find out what happens!! thanks
  • edited July 2005
    i downloaded and installed it all but tha computer STILL doesnt recognize tha camera. I think it IS broken and as we speak my mom is lookin for tha recipt. I hope it still has warranty!!! thanks yall tho anaways!! :)
  • edited July 2005
    Did you check it on a different computer and enable ieee1394, automatic device detiction, plug and play etc.
  • edited July 2005
    no i havent

i dont even know what this means:
    "enable ieee1394, automatic device detiction, plug and play etc."
  • edited July 2005
    Well you need to go educate yourself.

Go to yahoo and type in what is "ieee1394"

and do that for each one and that should bring you up to speed.
  • edited July 2005
    well i brought it in to radio shack so well see what they say, thanks for all tha help you guys!!
  • edited July 2005
    I hope you can get all the information you need not being able to capture video really sucks.
  • edited August 2005
    im sorry to raise this (almost 2 week old) thread from tha dead but this problem STILL isnt fix! :(

i just got my camera back from radio shack and they said that they tested my camera on 2 different computers and it worked fine. So the problem is NOT within tha camera. Tha thing is they transfered video through USB 2.0 (which i dont have) so i thought maybe its my firewire cable that doesnt work. I purchases a new and tested it out, i got tha same results.

so i guess the problem lies within my computer settings. Does anyone know how i change my settings or download something that will help me?

much thanks :thumbsup: (and once again... sorry)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    If this thread is still going.
    Could you not install a card like this and add USB2 ports?
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=6494&GroupID=646
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Brok_Homz wrote:
    im sorry to raise this (almost 2 week old) thread from tha dead but this problem STILL isnt fix! :(

i just got my camera back from radio shack and they said that they tested my camera on 2 different computers and it worked fine. So the problem is NOT within tha camera. Tha thing is they transfered video through USB 2.0 (which i dont have) so i thought maybe its my firewire cable that doesnt work. I purchases a new and tested it out, i got tha same results.

so i guess the problem lies within my computer settings. Does anyone know how i change my settings or download something that will help me?

much thanks :thumbsup: (and once again... sorry)

Do some searches. People here have tried to help you but you have no idea what you are doing, so you need to find out more about how all this works then come back again.
  • edited August 2005
    ^they been telling me that my camera was broke but aparently it works (it was tested on 2 other computers!)

i dont want to buy any new parts for tha comp. cuz i dont need any.

im sure its just something in my computer that isnt set to tha right settings, so if some one could tell me how to set up it up correctly, im sure i would have no trouble figuring it out.

PLZ leave me a reply ASAP thanks
  • edited August 2005
    You can buy the card, but it probably won't work since it is not DV Link, Firewire, IEEE 1394 the Standard for DV camcorders, and High Definitions Camcorders.
  • edited August 2005
    man does anyone her have AIM, so they can run me through it, and i can give them play by play, cuz this thread seems useless. :(
  • edited August 2005
    actually i was just browsing other forums and i think i discovered the problem! the firewire connector port on tha camera must be broke!

it makes sense doesnt it?

tha camera isnt tha problem-they tested it at radio shack on 2 computers
    tha firewire cable isnt tha problem- i tested a new one, same results
    computer isnt tha problem- nothing has really changed
    tha software isnt tha problem- all 4 programs gave tha same results

further proof- yes they did manage to capture video with my cam at radio shack but that was via USB 2.0 (which i dont have), and i can transfer pics via USB at my house and tha computer recognizes tha camera then, the problem is when i connect via ilink, it does not recoqnize tha device at all.

what do yall think?

and if thats the problem where can i find that part?
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    bothered wrote:
    If this thread is still going.
    Could you not install a card like this and add USB2 ports?
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=6494&GroupID=646