Taskbar gone A.W.O.L.?

edited July 2005 in Hardware
So, I came back to my comp. and my ZoneAlarm said something about a duel-program running; it was explorer.exe so I denyed it from running. My taskbar disappeared and now I can't get it back.

The only place I've been able to reattain it is in Safe Mode logged in as the Administrator.

In normal mode, I can run any programs through the Task Manager [File->New Task] but despite running all my spybots, ad-aware, HiJackThis and whatnot, I cannot get anything back.

Also, I have a constant box up that only has the Red circle with the white X in it, the critical error guy. The title bar says 'pulmon' and that's all. My only option is to click OK and they it immediately pops back up.

I uninstalled my ZoneAlarm thinking that should negate any kind of block I may have put on my system, but that isn't helping at all.

Also, I'm running Win XP

Help.

Comments

• maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited July 2005
    ok when you goto the taskmanager and select file new task(run) in the box type explorer and let me know what happens
  • edited July 2005
    It appears to do nothing. explorer.exe appears in my TM, running about 2,800K in mem. usage, but that's all.
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited July 2005
    what happens when you press the windows key, the one by the alt key
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Sounds like Zonealarm may be locking explorer.exe from running. Stop Zonealarm from blocking it.
  • edited July 2005
    Nothing. I've heard something about CTRL+Esc, and nothing there.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited July 2005
    Check out fix #117 at this site It will download a registry file. Just double-click it, Windows will ask you if you want to enter it into the registry, say yes, then reboot after it says it was successful.

That was given to me not long ago by prof :)
  • edited July 2005
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Sounds like Zonealarm may be locking explorer.exe from running. Stop Zonealarm from blocking it.

That's what I thought, but I uninstalled Zonealarm, so it's not even running. I also double-checked my lists before I uninstalled and explorer.exe wasn't on it anywhere.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Damn. Sorry I wasn't helpful. :-/
  • edited July 2005
    OK, I don't know what solved it; maybe it was the reinstallation of ZoneAlarm [Cyclonite] or maybe it was the registry file [Trogan_1000], but after some screwing around, I finally got my toolbar back. Thanks everybody! Now I'm just chock-full of spyware from disabling my firewall [ZoneAlarm]
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited July 2005
    Glad ya got it sorted :)

Visit the SVT Forum if you want help with your spyware problem :thumbsup:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    hmmm I would have closed explore out all together and then windows will normally have it re-execute, and that may or may not have helped.
  • edited July 2005
    hmmm I would have closed explore out all together and then windows will normally have it re-execute, and that may or may not have helped.

OK, so my **** got cleared up for a day or two, but then after the weekend, it got screwed up again.

I left my CPU on overnight, as I usually do, and when I woke up in the morning, my taskbar was gone and I had one or two ZoneAlarm notifications to accept or deny programs. So, I'm pretty sure all this taskbar nonsense is being caused by some kind of virus or spyware, but when I run Spybot, Ad-Aware and HiJackThis, they don't come up with anything.

I created a new user account and that works fine, but I'd really like to find out what is causing all of this. Plus, I don't want to go through all the hardships of moving files from one account to the other.

So ... what do you know about this?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    I would head over to the Spyware/Virus/Trojan Discussion Forum and post a HijackThis log.

If you are sure you know how to clear it up, you might try doing that in Safe Mode, turn off System Restore (to clear all your old restore points), then reboot and re-enable System Restore.

HijackThis is available from our Downloads page in the Security section.
  • edited July 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    I would head over to the Spyware/Virus/Trojan Discussion Forum and post a HijackThis log.

If you are sure you know how to clear it up, you might try doing that in Safe Mode, turn off System Restore (to clear all your old restore points), then reboot and re-enable System Restore.

HijackThis is available from our Downloads page in the Security section.

Yup, did the SysRes and the like, now everything is A-OK!

Although, I'm having some issues with pop-ups, but I've got that post being handled [slowly] in the SVT forum.

Thanks!