Video playback distorted and shaky on new lcd

edited July 2005 in Hardware
I recently built a new computer and have hooked up a new lcd monitor to it today and have run into some problems. Whenever I playback any kind of video there is massive distortion around all edges and straight lines of the video. When I pause the video the image still flickers around all the edges. My graphics card is a BFG 6600GT and I have tested playback on another monitor (crt) and on my tv and everything was fine. My drivers are up to date as well as the codecs (with only what's required installed.)

The monitor is a Fuji Plus 19" lcd that I got off of newegg.com with 100+ positive reviews. So far since being hooked up to the lcd, only twice has the video played correctly for a grand total of 10 seconds. Is this a problem with the monitor itself?? I've tried everything I can think of and am at my wits end. If anyone has any insight into my problem I would much appreciate it.

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    It might be the specific combination of your video card with that monitor. Did you try the monitor on a different computer with a different video card?
  • edited July 2005
    I tried the monitor on a different computer and it played the video files fine.

The thing is, I had the monitor hooked up to my computer with a DVI cable. The other monitor I went and tested it on only had VGA hookups so that is what I tested it on. When I came back to my computer I tested the VGA hookup on it as well and the video played back fine. From these tests I'm guessing that my DVI cable is bad??
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    chanchan wrote:
    ...From these tests I'm guessing that my DVI cable is bad??
    Either that, or there is some DVI-specific setting you need to adjust. Is there a configuration tool you can use?
  • edited July 2005
    Hate to be such a noob, but where would the configuration tool be? Would it be on the monitor's menu or the graphics card settings? I've gone through every menu and setting I can think of but can't seem to find anything that stricktly deals with DVI.

When my monitor turns on it does say DVI up in the corner.
    edited July 2005
    Try looking around in the Advanced section of Display Properties.

You might also check device manager and make sure that the monitor is being identified by its DVI (and not Analog) connection.

Can you try the monitor and DVI cable on another computer?
  • edited July 2005
    No I don't have access to any other computer with DVI inputs. I've also looked through every setting and preference and there's nothing to distinguish the monitor as DVI.
    edited July 2005
    Were you using DVI to hook up to the TV, or to the other monitors?
  • edited July 2005
    When I hooked it up to the tv I was using component cables and when I hooked it up to the other monitors I used VGA cables. The only time I've used DVI cables is with the troubled LCD and my computer.
    edited July 2005
    Well, the next step in the troubleshooting process would be to try the DVI cable on another system, to make sure that that is the issue. Either that, or be okay with VGA for now.

Is the DVI cable hard-wired to the monitor?
  • edited July 2005
    The DVI cable is not hard-wired to the monitor. I don't have access to another computer with DVI inputs so I might try either exchanging the monitor or getting new DVI cables.

I don't really want to settle with just plain VGA, so hopefully new equipment will workout.
    edited July 2005
    Are you using the MS driver for the monitor, or the latest one from Fuji?
  • edited July 2005
    I couldn't find any drivers for the monitor from Fuji when I looked so I am just using the one from MS.
    edited July 2005
    What's the exact model #?
  • edited July 2005
    Fuji Plus FP-988D

[edit] Well, in doing more tests I've been messing with the screen refresh rate and DirectDraw & Direct3d acceleration.

The first thing I did was turn off DirectDraw & Direct3d acceleration and then played a video and it played perfect. Every video had perfect playback. Turned DirectDraw & Direct3d acceleration back on and the video was bad again.

The next thing I did was drop the refresh rate from 75hz to 60hz (with DirectDraw & Direct3d acceleration turned on) and video played perfect. I then turned DirectDraw & Direct3d acceleration off and the video still played perfect.

So from my tests:

75hz screen refresh rate + DirectDraw & Direct3d acceleration = Bad Video
    75hz screen refresh rate + NO DirectDraw & Direct3d acceleration = Good Video
    60hz screen refresh rate + DirectDraw & Direct3d acceleration = Good Video
    60hz screen refresh rate + NO DirectDraw & Direct3d acceleration = Good Video

60hz and 75hz are the only two settings my monitor has. Is this normal behavior to have to turn off DirectDraw & Direct3d acceleration to have video play back normal with that refresh rate? I'm hoping that's not the problem since I'd like to keep the screen at the higher refresh rate and not have to toggle DirectDraw & Direct3d acceleration on/off for gameplay. Any thoughts?