Why's my clock speeding up

JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
edited July 2005 in Hardware
The clock in windows keeps on speeding up, usually 30mins every 24hrs. Surely if the cmos battery was going it would slow down??? Also this happens while the pc is powered on, I thought the cmos clock was powered by the mains while the pc was on.

So is it the battery or something else??

Comments

• FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited July 2005
    subscribing to thread. I have this problem too.
  • edited July 2005
    Just taking a stab at it here, but maybe the timing circuits on the mobo are wonky or possibly the ac power frequency is off some (very unlikely though). If they ac power frequency was off though, you would have a problem with other clocks in the house being fast too.

EDIT: I know this sin't a cure, but here's a way to get around your problems. Go into services and disable with windows time service in XP (don't have to do this with Win2K because that service is set to manual) and then install Dimension 4v.5.0 by Thinking Man's software . You can then open it up and configure it to run every few hours or days and it hits a time site and automatically updates the time on your machine. You might set it up to run every 6 hours or so on that machine.
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited July 2005
    I had a similar problem where my clock will run fast a few minutes every couple of days. I found one of John's posts as a solution. Replacing the CMOS battery, I believe has fixed my problem, the clock hasn't gone any faster in the last few days.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107210&postcount=4