Need Some UV PSU Sleeving Tips

test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I'm working on a pc for afriend of mine, and I want to put UV sleeving on all the psu cables. I noticed that most web sites offer the mesh by the foot, in different widths. What widths should I purchase for the mother board power cable and the other cords, so that it will slide over the connectors yet still fit the cables snugly? Also, what should I use to cap off the ends?

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Just buy a kit...
    http://xoxide.com/sleeving.html
    ...comes with all the mesh for every size of cable and heatshrink wrap for the ends. you wont be able to get stuff to fite over the 20pin connector. your gunna have to order a molex pin remover, or its possible to get them out with a safety pin or needle...however it takes forever to take them out with a needle, i know... :shakehead
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited July 2005
    oh god thats going to suck :rolleyes2 . it might be easier to simply unsolder the wires from the board in the psu one at a time, and slide them through the sleeving and resolder them back. i really dont like removing pins because they never fit quite as tight as before. also, i would be able to pass the sleeving into the psu for a somewhat cleaner look.

and yes, for you safety nuts, i do know how to discharge a power supply :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    Whatevers easier for you bro :thumbsup:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    I did my Antec 430 last year, and it took some time. If you buy it in bulk, just make sure you get some color matched heat shrink, and be sure to take your time. Luckily my PSU already had a sleved atx cable, so I just had to do the molex ends. Trust me, save yourself the trouble and buy a molex removal tool. It is VERY quick work when you have one. Some kits even come with one included..

Final product looks really nice:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I found some fairly large stuff when I sleeved my cables (way back when) that fit fine over the 20pin connector. You'll need to bend the wires so that you're sliding the mesh on over the smaller dimensions of the connector, but it worked fine for me.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2005
    Black electrical tape solves all your problems. None of your fancy-shmancy "sleeving." Could probably get some UV-reactive tape, too.

That's right. Pwned, bitches! ;D
    edited July 2005
    hey ive dont that... it works, not pretty but it works :thumbsup:
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    yeah, i don't have the patience for cable sleeving either....i bought some bright green sleeving a while back and spent over an hour fumbling with it, but i gave up b/c even after i took off the molexes the stupid pins would snag the sleeving every time. what a waste...

i just use split loom tubing b/c it's much easier and faster. comes in pretty colors too! :)