Overheated and will not start, I think....

edited July 2005 in Hardware
Months ago my fan stopped working in my power supply unit and the computer would turn off when I guess it got too hot. I would let it cool and get the fan going again by starting it with a pencil and it would start. This happened quite a few times until today when I can no longer start the computer. I'm not absolutely sure that the overheateing caused this to happen though. What do you think I have to replace and how hard is it to do because this is the first time I've ever opened a case. Is there a simple fix like a fuse? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    Well my first guess would be that your power supply went dead, just because of you mentioning the fan died. Some thing else could be the culprit as well, not sure.

Is this a pre-built system like a Dell/Compaq/HP/Gateway? If so, what model?
  • edited July 2005
    It's not a brand name computer. It was made by a local computer store. The PSU was made by Enlight Corp. As I mentioned this is the first time I've opened the case so would changing the power unit be something that is easily done and is one brand better than another? Thank you
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2005
    longbay102 wrote:
    It's not a brand name computer. It was made by a local computer store. The PSU was made by Enlight Corp. As I mentioned this is the first time I've opened the case so would changing the power unit be something that is easily done and is one brand better than another? Thank you

First of all, to put you at ease. Is it easy? Very easy.

In a nutshell, 4 screws and a heap of plugs. You can't go wrong.

Have a read of this article by Mediaman. That is how we started.

Generic PSU's don't last. The likes of Antec will. :)
  • edited July 2005
    Thanks dragonV8. The article by Mediaman looks great. Maybe one day I will tackle a build of my own using his article. Is there a way to test the PSU? Could it be anything else? Thanks.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    Could you take a part back to that store to see if they will test parts for free?
    edited July 2005
    If you have a multi meter and are familiar with electricity and it's dangers, you could have a look at this and see if it may help.
  • edited July 2005
    Thanks dragonV8 and mmonnin. I tested the PSU and there was no power coming from the unit. I bought a new power supply unit and installed it myself and the computer is working as it should. What's next, maybe a complete build myself ,who knows. Thanks for taking the time to answer my very novice question.
    edited July 2005
    longbay102 wrote:
    Thanks dragonV8 and mmonnin. I tested the PSU and there was no power coming from the unit. I bought a new power supply unit and installed it myself and the computer is working as it should.

Glad it worked out for you. As you now know, replacing a PSU is not too difficult. :)

longbay102 wrote:
    What's next, maybe a complete build myself ,who knows. Thanks for taking the time to answer my very novice question.

If you can put your hands on an old throwaway computer, that is a good way to learn how to build one. Strip it down and put it back together again. ;)

Or follow Mediaman's guide. :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Good job, guys. :thumbsup:
  • edited July 2005
    I do have an old Pentium 266 that I could take apart. Is this computer so obsolete that it can't be used for anything? Could it be used for accessing the internet at least? Tell me if I should be on another board or is o k to continue this thread. Once again I'm so appreciative that you guys would take the time to help others with their problems.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    longbay102 wrote:
    I do have an old Pentium 266 that I could take apart. Is this computer so obsolete that it can't be used for anything? Could it be used for accessing the internet at least?
    That's one of the few things that a rig that old is good for. Throw email, file & print server, plus mp3 terminal into the mix and you can still get some use out of the old guy.
    Tell me if I should be on another board or is o k to continue this thread.
    You'll probably get more attention by starting a new thread in the Hardware Discussion Forum. Title it something like Help me make my old computer useful again to pique people's interest. :D
    Once again I'm so appreciative that you guys would take the time to help others with their problems.
    The members here at Short-Media are more than happy to help. The best way to pay us back is by hanging around the forums and helping others when you can. You'll learn an awful lot along the way, too. (As a matter of fact, that's how most of the experts here got started.)

Then there's always our Folding @ Home Team. :thumbsup: