Good ol' BH-5

lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Never owned BH-5 previous to this set. And I have no idea why I didn't jump on this bandwagon earlier :mullet:

Memory is: Kingston Hyper-X, PC3500. 2-2-2-5, CPC, 3.15Vdimm. Mainboard is DFI NF3 250GB.

I got 255 without any fine tuning. 2-2-2-5, CPC on. I'm reasonably confident that I'll get it to 260 before the day is out. I think this sempron's memory controller may be the limiting factor right now, I'll have to try these with my 3500+ next..

Now, just need to find a way to push more the 3.3v rail a bit higher :D

Thanks to TheSMJ for this wonderful set. :thumbsup:

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    255 didn't turn out to be prime stable overnight, so I shot for 250 instead. Rock solid. CPU is only at 2.0GHz unfortunatly, might try with a divider later. 42s superpi is not too bad for a 128k cache chip & 2.0GHz I suppose.

Still loving this ram though :D
  • edited July 2005
    Yeah, change that Gb's mem divider to the 180 setting and crank it up. I've read of some folks having problems with the 180 setting but I've had 0 problems getting it to work on both my boards. You should be good to go to 280-290 HTT then.

EDIT: If that Sempy still looks good at the 280-290 setting, then switch to the 166 mem divider and go for the gusto.

I really like these mobo's and found them to be a joy to mess with.
    edited July 2005
    Here's the 180 divider mudd.. Didn't have much luck with the 166. Unfortunatly the chip starts getting really finiky with the DDR500 when it's pushing 2.4ghz.. This appears quite stable so far. Not too bad for the 'little sempron that could'.. This is the bottom of the barrel 2600+ too, 1.6ghz stock. 40sec superpi 1M not too bad for a $90CDN processor.. This would make a fantastic budget gaming machine, no doubt about it.. especially with memory that quick.. I wish I had a good AGP 3d card to do some benchies..
    edited July 2005
    Looks like I spoke to soon. It's not DDR500, but CAS 1.5. Plus the extra 200MHz seems to make a much more profound impact than the lost 10MHz of memory clock. I'm not sure how much the CAS 1.5 actually improves it. I may test that later on.. Anyhow, I'm very confident this chip will not surpass this clock. The DFI NF3 is quite the board. Just as much fun as the NF4 boards. I think this sempron is now in higher-midrange A64 territory now, with a 38sec superpi.
  • edited July 2005
    Man, that's look pretty hawt for a cheapo processor, lemonlime. I agree, it would make a pretty decent gaming machine with a good vid card in it with processor benches like that.

I don't have a NF4 board, but from what I've read on them and what I've experienced with my 250Gb boards, the Gb sseems much more friendly for the average overclocker and not nearly as finiky. They are definitely great boards.
  • edited July 2005
    Very nice LL! With any luck I should be able to push up my new Kingston HX PC3500 up beyond 220 Mhz this time. Unfortunately it's not looking very good so far. :(

235 x 3-4-4-11 @ 2.9V and I still get Memtest errors. What VDIMM are you using, LL?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited July 2005
    low temps
    edited July 2005
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Very nice LL! With any luck I should be able to push up my new Kingston HX PC3500 up beyond 220 Mhz this time. Unfortunately it's not looking very good so far. :(

235 x 3-4-4-11 @ 2.9V and I still get Memtest errors. What VDIMM are you using, LL?

That was with about 3.15volts, and active cooling on the dimms. It's amazing the improvement in the overclocking from 2.9-->3.1 volts, seems like that's the sweet spot. I'm sure it will scale higher too.

Perhaps the troubles you are having are due to your northbridge/mainboard and not your ram? I know socket A is a lot more limited than the newer platforms when it comes to memory overclocking. I'd be curious to see how that ram does in a DFI board with some higher vdimm..

What is the best you can hit with 2-2-2 timings?
    edited July 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    low temps

My DFI board reports the CPU temp incorrectly for some reason. It's about 5-7degrees too cool. Even still, it's a very cool chip. I'm just using the stock heatsink/fan too.