Looking for a motherboard.

edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hello, does anyone know of a motherboard the meets the following requirements?

1.) Compatible with an AMD Athlon 64 socket 754 processor
2.) Compatible with PC2-5300 RAM
3.) Has an AGP 8x slot. But I might be able to swing for a PCI-E.

The reason i'm asking is because, I feel it's time for a slight overhaul (see sig for specs). Thanks in advance, all.

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    AMD does not support DDR2 yet. You may want to check out the set-up Tex has for sale in the "Deal Depot and Trading Post".
  • edited July 2005
    Ahhh. Any ideas as to when they might begin supporting it?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Look for it with the next socket change.
    When they went to 939/940 there was no DDR2 fast enough to offer an advantage.
    It looks like that story will be different this time around.
  • edited July 2005
    A year or so at the very earliest. The A64 benefits a lot more from lower latencies than (supposedly) very high bandwidth that DDR2 is going to give.

For a great AGP socket 754 board, I can't say enough good about the DFI Lanparty UT NF3-250Gb. It's stable, easy to set up, many overclocking options and many features too. You can get them for right around $100 delivered.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    AMD does not support DDR2 yet. You may want to check out the set-up Tex has for sale in the "Deal Depot and Trading Post".

probably already taken by CBDroege
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited July 2005
    Does anybody know when we can expect to see AMD motherboards that support DDR2
  • edited July 2005
    tmh88 wrote:

See my post above. :rolleyes:

You won't see DDR2 support until the next major rework of the proc, when it swaps over to socket M2 at least. That's what I've read and heard about this. The onboard memory controller has to be reworked to support DDR2.
    edited July 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    It's not just the motherboard but the since the memory controller is in the CPU the CPU will need to support it also.
  • edited July 2005
    Yeah, that's what I said, but I assumed he knows about the memory controller being integrated into the processor circuitry. :D;D;D
  • edited July 2005
    Well that sucks. But ok, so would my system actualy benefit more from PC-3200 RAM vs. PC2-5300? I don't get it.
    edited July 2005
    Dodger wrote:
    Well that sucks. But ok, so would my system actualy benefit more from PC-3200 RAM vs. PC2-5300? I don't get it.
    In the real world right now the same amout of 4400 will blow 5300 DDR2 out of the water performance wise. Clock for clock DDR is heads above DDR2.
  • edited July 2005
    Ok, so what would be the better choice for my system... a single 1GB stick of ram or 2 512MB sticks of RAM? I ask this because i've heard only 939-socket processors take advantage of dual-channel memory support. Or something like that.

EDIT: Also, can anyone reccomend the best RAM for my system? I was thinking going with PC-4400 RAM.
  • edited July 2005
    If you can find it and afford it, the G.Skill PC4400 is supposed to be about the best out on the market presently. I was just looking at Newegg and they have several models of the G.Skill PC4400, sarting at $232.01 and even have some rated at PC4800 (DDR 600 or 300 fsb/HTT) for $235.00. If you are looking to run very high fsb speeds at 1:1 ratio, that PC4800 would be the way to go.

EDIT: To go socket 939, you will need 2 sticks of ddr anyways to run dual channel. And the 1Gb sticks out there on the market at present can run nowhere near the speed of the 512 Mb sticks of ddr.
  • edited July 2005
    $232 smackaroonies? 0_o I was thinking something a TAD cheaper. I was thinking maybe these crackers...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231019

Pretty decent timings, signifigantly cheaper (to me). Watcha think?
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    thoes "crackers" are yeller ;D

Pilo says: "If its $189.95, its probably pretty good RAM."
  • edited July 2005
    They could be 'Baby ****' color for all I care. If it's good RAM, i'm taken it. :D
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    a64's benifit more form lower latencies than higher bandwidth memory like the stuff you posted. there really is no benefit from exceedingly fast memory speeds if the latencies are high. with a64's integrated memory controller it is all about latency.

since you are buying new memory, i would go with some cas2 stuff---tccd is still the best. you can still overclock the cpu and keep the latency low on your memory and you will benefit more.

see linky below for more details...

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2469&p=1

maybe some cas2 pc3500 if you really want to smoke the competition.
  • edited July 2005
    hi guys am a little confused with this, I am getting an Abit AN8 fatality board now what is the highest speed ram it can actually take? I mean if i put a pc4000 in it will it actually run at that speed? or will it only run at pc3200 speeds?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2005
    Remember the memory controller is not in the MB with these AMD64 chips. Its on the cpu.

Tex
  • edited July 2005
    Eh? thats confusing, so the motherboard can take say a PC4400 ddr memory and it will run at 4400 speeds and not 3200 speeds??
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    you need to do more research. look for reviews of a64 cpu architecture and nf4 architecture.

pc4400 will run at full speed if both your mobo/cpu can handle it. also need a quality psu, good ventilation, etc... also ymmv on any giving mob/cpu/ram combo.

with a64 you can run different dividers so that your mem/cpu is out of sink. this is good for people with low latency ram so that the cpu is overclocked but not the memory.

anandtech.com is great for reference...look at the bottom for archived reviews. check out the cpu section and the chipset section. :thumbsup:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2005
    Eh? thats confusing, so the motherboard can take say a PC4400 ddr memory and it will run at 4400 speeds and not 3200 speeds??
    Stock speed for ALL Athlon 64 S754 (single Channel) and S939 (Dual Channel) is 200mhz (PC3200). If the motherboard you select has FSB and multiplier adjustments you can change these settings

Some examples
    Athlon 3800+ (Stock Settings) 12x multi 200mhz (PC3200) = 2.4ghz
    OR
    Athlon 3800+ (Slightly OC'd) 10x Multi 250mhz (PC4000) = 2.5ghz
    OR
    Athlon 3800+ (OC'd Memory) 8x Multi 300mhz (PC4800) = 2.4ghz
    OR
    Athlon 3800+ (OC'd CPU & Memory) 10x Multi 275mhz (PC4400) = 2.75ghz

other combos are possible, it all depends on what your Motherboard, CPU, Memory, PSU and Cooling can do as a unit