ThatFatCat5ThatFatCat5 Minn-eee-soda
edited July 2005 in Hardware
So i have a 2.0 GHz Celeron....
128KB L2 Cache
400MHz FSB

and I have the opportunity to get a 1.8 P4 (not celeron...) for a decent price
256KB L2 Cache
400MHz FSB

I havn't worked with processors too much so I don't know the performance boost with an increased cache of that size. I also might be able to get a 512KB L2 Cache of around the same operating frequency, so that would definately be better.
My motherboard only supports 400MHz FSB and supports overclocking, so what's better, the one I have or the 1.8 P4 256KB cache?

Post Script: I am currently running the 2.0 GHz Celeron at 2.3 overclocked and that's around my limit before I start getting bsod's.

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited July 2005
    both of those are 400Mhz FSB, are they socket 423 processors?
  • ThatFatCat5ThatFatCat5 Minn-eee-soda
    edited July 2005
    o woops, i forgot to mention, 478
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited July 2005
    what mother board will it go into, u should see the max speed of the mobo before you buy anything
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    What are the S-Spec numbers for both chips? If either or both of those chips are Williamette cores I'd say just save your money.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited July 2005
    My motherboard only supports 400MHz FSB and supports overclocking, so what's better, the one I have or the 1.8 P4 256KB cache?

it's max fsb is 400MHz (it says it supports 400MHz FSB)
    it's a p4xb-sa from VIA, super cheap board

the processor i have now is a northwood, but i dont know what the other one is (it's an '01)
    here's its specs according to its stepping code
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL5VJ
  • edited July 2005
    That P4 is a Willie and not worth you trying to mess with. You will be lucky to get it to 2.0. The easiest way to tell if it's a Willie or Northie is to look at the L2 cache size. Any P4 with 256K L2 cache is a Willie and a P4 Northie will have 512k L2 cache.
    edited July 2005
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Spend a little more and get a system that will run rings around anything you've mentioned so far.

If you're looking at a $117 CPU which is essentially only upgrading the processor's cache you are wasting your money. Either get the fastest CPU you can use in your current rig, or check out the one I linked to. You want that upgrade to really be a step up - not just kind of sideways. :)
    edited July 2005
    lol, that looks like a nice setup...
    so it's definately better than my current specs....
    2.0GHz Celeron 128KB Cache
    VIA P4XB-SA Motherboard
    1x 512MB Corsair PC2100
    1x 256MB Sony(I think) PC2100

i dont understand... is tex selling them? or is he suggesting a build?
    either way i couldn't do it, i probably wouldn't get money soon enough to buy one from him, and if he is suggesting a build then i also have to buy a new case, and probably a new psu.