Overclocking failed?

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hey, I have a question about something weird that happens when my computer is abruptly shut off, like when the power goes out, or I turn the power switch off on the back of the PSU, or anything that shuts it off without exiting from windows. It doesnt happen every time my pc gets shut off abruptly, but when my computers booting an error message will come up saying, "Overclocking Failed!". I don't have anything overlcocked at all on my computer, and for that matter, I dont even have the option in my bios to overclock anything at all. The CPU speed is locked, and there isnt anything for my videocard or ram or anything. Nothing is messed up and all i have to do is press F1 to continue, and then it will just continue through the boot and it loads windows fine.

Any ideas whats going on with it?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    My guess is that it's a (poorly written) generic error message. Many boards load BIOS defaults if they detect anything weird in the boot or shutdown process. This feature is handy if you are overclocking. Instead of having to open the case and reset the BIOS, the computer does it for you automatically.

I'd go through the BIOS and make sure that things aren't being reset to defaults. Try turning S.M.A.R.T. (or some other non-critical setting) to the opposite of what it is now. The next time this happens, go into the BIOS and see if it reverted to its old setting.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited July 2005
    Yea a few things were set to default like AGP memory was set to 64mb, so i had to put it back at 256 mb. I forget what else was set to default, but it was only like 1 or 2 other things. thanks
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    That is a common issue with Asus boards. I had the same thing happen with the speech reporter on my A7N8X-E board. I would simply ignore it. I had no issues with stability after hearing that message. I simply turned off the speech reporting option in the bios.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited July 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    That is a common issue with Asus boards. I had the same thing happen with the speech reporter on my A7N8X-E board. I would simply ignore it. I had no issues with stability after hearing that message. I simply turned off the speech reporting option in the bios.

Thats good to hear, as long as its no major issues i can deal with it.