SATA I VS SATA II , IDE what's the difference

edited November 2010 in Hardware
Alright I just came from Best Buy and COMPUSA and I would really like to know what is the difference between a SATA I, SATA II, IDE 40pin and the other pin. Why do some of the 10,000rpm hard drives have such small storage space. The big question is why does Western Digital hard drives give you more space that Seagate after refomating them ex, a 160gb WD= 158gb or 156 while a 160gb Seagate HD= 149gb.

What do each of the connections look like on the back and what are the advantages of using the new SATA hard Drives (what I have) and the old IDE HD

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    SATA1 = 150Mb/s
    SATA2 = 300Mb/s
    ATA 40 pin is the same as 80pin basically. There are ground wires between the data wires thats all.

You sacrafice storage space for speed with the 10k drives.

The WD drive will NOT format to 158GB. It physically doesnt have that much space since manufactures use 1GB=1000MB but in reality its 1GB=1024MB so 160*24 (mb) is the amount of space you will 'lose' from the spec given.

Go to newegg for some pics of an OEM HDD to see the connection. SATA has more available bandwidth but that doesnt mean your HDD can use it.
  • edited July 2005
    I went to newegg and they show pics of the top of the drives and a small glimpse of the actual connecteors.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited July 2005
    IDE

u1878.jpg
    ide%20hdd.jpg

SATA I ( also takes a different power connector )

SATA-Signal-Cable-1.jpg
    sata-drive-connectors.jpg
    sata2.jpg

SATA 2 - uses a cable calles a quick-clikc or somthing liek that, looks pretty much identical but can push 2x the data

sata2-plug.jpg
    lic6uhDsZXI7Y.jpg
  • edited July 2005
    Thank's but I didn't really get the SATA II
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    It's the speed of throughput on the bus. Think of it as being similar to the difference between ATA-66 and ATA-100 (though much faster than either).
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    sata II doesn't really matter that much because even if you have a sata II mobo and a sata II hard drive, you cannot push anywhere near the theoretical 300mb/s.

most hard drives will benchmark around 60mb/s maximum. so we aren't even pushing the full ata100 spec yet.

the one good thing about sata II is NCQ or native command queing. be careful though b/c not all sata II hdd's support NCQ. western digital's new sataIIs for instance lack this feature. another good thing about sata drives are the small thin cables plus the lack of jumpers so no messing with the master/slave thing.
  • edited July 2005
    sweet So when are the manufacturers going to produce 1 terabyte hardrives not the 2x500gb but a full terabyte or more. That's what I want to see just for the fun of knowing someone is going to have to defag it and that will take forever.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Bigger cache = better; it allows the drive to accept more data faster before needing to write to disk, so it buffers the input and output.

Difference between IDE and SATA is A) speed, B) connector, and C) future existence. Motherboards being put out even now have been removing the IDE ports - they're big, bulky, and add space without being useful.

Get a large-cache SATA II drive and call it a day.
  • edited November 2010
    From the SATA-IO website:

The term SATA II has grown in popularity as the moniker for the SATA 3Gb/s data transfer rate, causing great confusion with customers because, quite simply, it’s a misnomer.

The first step toward a better understanding of SATA is to know that SATA II is not the brand name for SATA’s 3Gb/s data transfer rate, but the name of the organization formed to author the SATA specifications. The group has since changed names, to the Serial ATA International Organization, or SATA-IO.

In other words, there's NO SUCH THING as a SATA II drive.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Does anyone else hear zombies?