The incredible shrinking hard drive

edited July 2005 in Hardware
I have a Maxtor GB ATA133 8MB rpm hard drive that was working fine and the system showed it as 189 GB. I recently had to format so I decided to make 2 partitions. My hard drive total dropped by 60 GB. When I wiped it again it got even smaller. Inow see a total of 127.9 GB. Does anybody know where the heck the rest went and how I get it back?

Thanks

Rachael

Comments

• mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited July 2005
    Try checking if that missing 60G is unpartitioned.

Start --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management

From the "Computer Management" tree, select "Disk Management" and see if there is 60G of unpartition space. If there is, then create a new partition with the remaining unpartitioned space.
  • edited July 2005
    Ok,

I can see the other 60 GB in there and I set it up so I now have my whole drive to use. A thousand thank yous Morgan!! I don't really want to have 3 partitions though. Do you have any idea why I was not able to put the whole thing on 2 partitions? Or after formatting again, it wouldn't even show the whole thing for 1 partition? Just curious.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    If you're running WinXP and don't have SP2 you are limited to a 137GB size limit on partitions. If you do manage to create a partition larger than that and don't have SP2, you will eventually run into serious trouble with your file system.
  • edited July 2005
    Thanks everybody,

Rachael