OGM and MKV video player

PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Internet & Media
Hey All,
I've got some OGM and MKV files I would like to watch. I already have BSPlayer downloaded as well as Media Player Classic, but neither can open the file. Is there any easy, honest website to download the codecs I need? Also, is there any "Super Codec" pack for video files that I can download?
Thanks,
Jeff

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2005
    Try vlc plays every format ive ever tryed :).
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Thanks, Grayfox. It plays the video fine, but I get massive sound feedback and distortion with the sound. It doesn't seem to happen with AVI files.

Any ideas? I've tried it with many OGM and MKV files and they all distort bigtime.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    You need some sort of DirectShow splitter for OGM and MKV before it'll work with DirectShow players like Winamp, Windows Media Player, BSPlayer, ZoomPlayer, Media Player Classic, etc. I've had luck with both the latest K-Lite codec packs (standard and mega) though they install a lot of excess BS. Supposedly the best currently available is the Common Community Codec Pack (CCCP). It uses a modified version of FFDShow (not your mama's 2001 SourceForge build) and the Haali DirectShow splitter collection. I've had a lot of luck with all the packs listed.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited July 2005
    Well, VLC resulted in multiple BSODs and sound problems in Win XP Pro. I had to use a restore point. Not sure why it conflicted with my system, but I'm going to stay away from it.

I downloaded the XP Codec Pack 1.2.2 and, with Media Player Classic, all the OGM and MKV files seem to be playing fine.

Drasnor,
    any reason to switch to the CCCP Codec over the XP one I'm currently using?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    If what you have works then don't mess with it. I tried CCCP on one of my machines because K-Lite wouldn't play a set of files I had and CCCP was the only thing that would. I don't use VLC because all the codecs are compiled in and imho they don't update often enough. Certain file types stopped working on the machine I installed CCCP on, probably because K-Lite didn't unregister properly when I uninstalled it. My philosophy on codecs is pick a pack when you install Windows and don't switch. Switching really messes things up.

I plan to install CCCP as the only codec pack next time I install Windows. It's the only pack "supported" by the fansub anime community. Less bloat and more compatibility.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited July 2005
    Good info, thanks. Fan-subbed Anime was exactly what I was trying to watch.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2005
    Try LazyMan's MKV codecs, then install the OGGDS v0.9.9.5 OGM codecs. Then Install the Real Alternative and Quicktime alternative. These contain the Media Player Classic. Once these are installed and configured, you can easily play MKV and OGM files.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    You need Media Player Classic and the OGGDS libraries. That's it and that's all.