Image Editing Question...

PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Internet & Media
I'm never used Photoshop, Gimp, or any other image editing program before, but I'm interested in learning how to change colors on a picture. I would like to see the correct stripe design for my car before I drop the $$$ on it. Can anyone please tell me how to change the first Mustang picture (Red/White) to the colors of the second (Silver/Grey)? Preferably with Gimp or another free image editor.

Thanks,
Jeff

Comments

• PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    bump!

Anyone?
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited July 2005
    In PS you can do a color selection. Under the select menu, there is an option to select by color. It opens up a window where you can adjust how accurate your selection is. For the red section it would be easy, because you just select almost anywhere that's red on the car with the eyedropper, adjust your settings a bit and all the red should be selected. Once you have all the red selected, go to Image > Adjustments> Hue and Saturation and change those settings to get a nice silver tone. You do the same process for the white, however it may be a little more difficult because there is white in some places besides the racing stripes. So when you adjust the hue for those sections, it'll change more then just the stripes to black, but it really shouldn't matter if the background changes a bit if you're only interested in seeing what it looks like.

You could also hand paint a selection and then adjust the hue that way.
    edited July 2005
    Thanks, Nolf-Job.

Everything goes find with the selection by color, but when I get to adjust the hue there is no silver color. It changes through all of the rainbow, but there doesn't seem to be any grey, silver, black, or white.

Am I doing something stupid?
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    with photoshop cs2 (version 9) you can use the vanishing point for that. its in filter>vanishing point. just make a square around the car, then go to the stamp tool. press alt+left click on the red part of the car. move that to the center of the two stripes and click. thats how i would do it. :thumbsup: thats what i would do for the strips not the color
    edited August 2005
    crap!!!! i thought u meant you want to see the kind of stipes that are on the silver car on the red car. what was i thinking. i was half way done. look at this.
    new (the one i edited with vanishing point)
    gallery_8136_1_94259correct.jpg

old
    attachment.php?attachmentid=16962&stc=1

:bawling: what was i thinking!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    How's this? I'm not good with explainations, but it was basically just a quick 5 second ordeal. Opened it in PS, CTRL + U, selected the red tones, and desaturated it.

As for the stripes, I didn't play with them.... those are actually a bit different since they are white and they'll cuase issues with the rest of the image "highlights" by getting them. Plus it doesn't look right as they are not being very reflective, it'll look strange, and it takes a bit of work to get rid of a visible edge around teh white area's when you try to darken them.
    edited August 2005
    Trumandrummer, RWB,
    THANKS! I appreciate the advice and the hard work.:thumbsup:

RWB's is very close to what I was inexpertly trying to do. I just wanted the stripes to be charcoal grey instead of white. Is there way to make that change? Unfortunately, I'm on travel and don't have accesss to my main desktop. :scratch:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Preacher wrote:
    Trumandrummer, RWB,
    THANKS! I appreciate the advice and the hard work.:thumbsup:

RWB's is very close to what I was inexpertly trying to do. I just wanted the stripes to be charcoal grey instead of white. Is there way to make that change? Unfortunately, I'm on travel and don't have accesss to my main desktop. :scratch:

Yeah, I'll do that for ya. Give me a few minutes, trying to render out some other stuff atm :p
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Actually give me a while, I'm actually having a bit of difficulty getting it as it wants to just piss me off :mad:
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Best attempt cause it's damn hard getting it to select all the white.

stang6nd.jpg
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Same issue I was having... I go for quality work though :p
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Well then go waste an hour or two on the borders :crazy:
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited August 2005
    You guys are good! You're Photoshop Master!
    edited August 2005
    well mine WAS looking good. then half way through i realized what he wanted so i just stopped and posted a pic of what i did for no reason lmao. anyways how did you guys do yours? b4 i realized he wanted a color swap i just used vanishing point. man the p***** me off :shakehead
    edited August 2005
    LOL!

Blackhawk,
    Thanks that's exactly what I was trying to accomplish.

All,
    I appreciate everyone's efforts.