RAID 1 embedded Tyan, Windows sees both drives? HELP!

edited July 2005 in Hardware
Please HELP with this problem;
I built a new server using the Tyan Tiger i7320 (S5350) mobo. I hooked two WD 80GB drives to the two SATA ports on the mobo and used the embedded Adaptec HostRAID BIOS to configure a RAID 1 array (mirror). During Windows 2003 server install and after using the floppy for the driver, I saw two hard drives in the choice for installing Windows. That didn't look right to me. I canceled setup and re-checked my RAID settings. Everything looked fine, so I procedded with Windows install. After Windows installed, I went to the Disk Management consol and there were two identical drives with identical data and there were seperate drive letters assigned to each partition that I made. If I have a RAID 1 array I expect Windows to only see one hard drive. I partitioned the drive into three so I expected to have three drive letters to work with in Windows explorer. But because Windows sees the other half of the mirror, I have a total of six drive letters to deal with.
I wonder if that is the way the embedded controller works or am I doing somthing wrong?
How do I fix the problem?

Tyan Tiger i7320 (S5350)
Intel 6300ESB (Hance Rapids) South Bridge ICH5R
Adaptec Embedded Serial ATA HostRAID Controller

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2005
    I don't know THAT raid controller.... but.... most the modern ones have TWO drivers available. One for raid. And one that lets you use single drives.

Tex