Which Amd 64-bit??

edited July 2005 in Hardware
I am about to buy a new computer. Just wondering which amd 64 i should buy???? :scratch: I was thinking of buying a amd 64 4000, but ive been reading other overclocking forums and some have overclocked their 3500's to a 4000.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Overclocking can be a real crapshoot. If you want to be guaranteed of a 4000MHz speed CPU, then buy a 4000MHz speed CPU.

If you are in it more for the overclocking fun (and it is fun), as a general rule of thumb try to buy a CPU in the middle of a core's range. The earliest ones are likely to be poor OC'ers; the later ones are probably already maxed out.

When companies make a CPU they do not say "let's run off a set of 4000+ models". Rather, they make a whole "sheet" of processors, test and benchmark them, then mark them according to their max speed (with a little margin for error thrown in).

If they get a hot batch and nearly all of them clock very high, they often intentionally mark some of them at a lower speed - just so they have some available to sell. If they had no 3500+ CPU's to sell because they all clocked higher during testing it would tick people off.

Overclockers try to find chips from a batch reputed to have the potential to run higher than their "official" speed, then boost them up, usually using a fair amount of extra cooling to do so.
  • edited July 2005
    Here are the specs of the pc i wont, im seriously stuck on which cpu,mobo and which grapics card to get :scratch:

AMD (San Diego) Athlon 64bit 4000+ 939pin
    Gigabyte GV-3D1 with GA-K8NXP-SLI (Mobo and a grapics card package its a 6600 gt which has 2 gpu's on one card for sli)

Or do you think i should get

MSI K8N SLI Platinum----mobo
    2 x 6600 gt or 1 x 6800 gt for sli in the future----grapics card
    AMD 64(i just need to know which processor is fastest when overclocked, but i cant spend too much so newest cpu i can buy is a amd 64 4000)
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Considering that a 3700+ is over $160 dollars cheaper than a 4000+, you may want to consider choosing a CPU in the mid-range. It will most likely clock to the same speeds as the higher processor and that money could mean more performance RAM or a better video card. Even if it doesn't overclock, the real world difference between a 3700+ and a 4000+ is negligible. Also, since the price is only a little bit more, I'd go with a retail CPU.
  • edited July 2005
    So u think i should go for the 4000?
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Um...no. I wouldn't I would spend the extra $150-200 on more RAM or a better video card. If you're unsure, just look up some of the benchmarks for a 3700+ and a 4000+.