cannot start windows

rcracingfan24rcracingfan24 Los Angeles
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hello, I am new to these forums.

I have a computer running Windows XP Professional version 2000. When I try to boot up it says: "The file: '<windows root>\system32\hal.dll' is missing or corrupt. Please reinstall this file." So, I got the .dll off of the computer i am currently on, running the exact same version of xp pro as that one, (same install disc) and put it on a floppy. I then used the Recovery Console on the XP setup disc to copy the file into the "C:\Windows\system32\" folder. And yes, XP is installed in "C:\Windows". Can you help me please? I have very important data on this computer. I used my knoppix disc to view the files on the HDD, but I couldn't copy or paste onto the HDD.

-thanks

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited July 2005
    copying the file back as it was didnt work?

you can do a repair install on the machine from the windowsXP cd that installs all of the system critical data files back to the machine
  • rcracingfan24rcracingfan24 Los Angeles
    edited July 2005
    Armo wrote:
    copying the file back as it was didnt work?

you can do a repair install on the machine from the windowsXP cd that installs all of the system critical data files back to the machine

I have a windowsXP cd, but it doesn't have the repair-install option when I press enter to "install Windows" it just comes up with a list of the partitions. I copyed the file from another xp computer onto the broken one, and it still didn't work.
    edited July 2005
    edited July 2005
    Armo wrote:

I have seen all these tutorials before, but After I accept the liscense agreement, it doesn't show the previous installations, just a menu with the partitions of the HDD and the options to delete partition create partition (if there is empty space) and ENTER to install Windows XP.
    edited July 2005
    was is not actually copying the HAL.dll file or did it just not work after you did it, theres a way to "extract" individual files in the recovery consile too.
    edited July 2005
    Armo wrote:
    was is not actually copying the HAL.dll file or did it just not work after you did it, theres a way to "extract" individual files in the recovery consile too.

huh?

i did "extract" the "hal.dl_" file off of the install CD using recovery console, and copyed it to the C:\windows\system32 folder. It doesn't work even after i did it... multiple times... using the new one off of the cd, and one copyed from another xp pro computer.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    yeah its part of the recovery menu in the startup of the XP cd. It's a feature in XP Home AND XP Pro
    edited July 2005
    well, theres a method of reinstalling XP so that it only deletes the Windows folder and nothing else, thats usually the way i reinstall windows, all of my data is still theres, but you'll have to reinstall pretty much all of the programs over again because they wont be in the registry anymore. if your really lazy, you can backup your registry and then restore it when the XP install finishes, also another option is if u have another computer, u can hook the *broken* hard drive into the working machine as a slave drive and extract all of your information. does it correctly rename HAL.DL_ to HAL.DLL on its own or do you have to specify it to complete the DLL part of the file name, i dont remember.
    edited July 2005
    yeah its part of the recovery menu in the startup of the XP cd. It's a feature in XP Home AND XP Pro

But I'm telling you, ITS NOT THERE!! hold on for like 10-15 mins, ill take pix w/ my digital camera. brb.
    edited July 2005
    Armo wrote:
    well, theres a method of reinstalling XP so that it only deletes the Windows folder and nothing else, thats usually the way i reinstall windows, all of my data is still theres, but you'll have to reinstall pretty much all of the programs over again because they wont be in the registry anymore.
    what method is that? I've never heard of that one
    edited July 2005
    But I'm telling you, ITS NOT THERE!! hold on for like 10-15 mins, ill take pix w/ my digital camera. brb.
    just making sure you havent missed it - you did hit the R in the Windows Setup menu, right?
    edited July 2005
    i gotta remember it does it when i use my distribution of XP to reinstall.
    edited July 2005
    Armo wrote:
    i gotta remember it does it when i use my distribution of XP to reinstall.
    thats weird, because thats not what Repair Install is. It reinstalls all of the System Files, and leaves all programs and files untouched.
    edited July 2005
    Well wait - I was wrong. DON'T hit "R"!
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Go here if indeed the Repair Install option is not there:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#warning2
    edited July 2005
    00-AUT_0902.JPG

Starting Windows Setup Disk.

46-AUT_0903.JPG

Loading Drivers, Etc...

56-AUT_0905.JPG

Welcome to Setup.

31-AUT_0906.JPG

License Agreement

13-AUT_0907.JPG

Screen after pressing "F8" to accept agreement.

59-AUT_0908.JPG26-AUT_0909.JPG
    05-AUT_0910.JPG20-AUT_0911.JPG

Closeup of the screen.

SO, there is no "press 'R' to repair an installation." Oh, and, the four pix close together are top-let, top-right, bottom-left, bottom-right, of the screen, respectively.
    edited July 2005
    lol ok follow the link i posted above :)
    edited July 2005
    49-AUT_0912.JPG

This is the exact error.
    edited July 2005
    ok, lemme go try that.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited July 2005
    Hang on...

It says 'R=Repair' in your third pic. Isn't that what you want?
    edited July 2005
    Hang on...

yeah i would think so, but this article says otherwise:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    edited July 2005
    Hang on...

That's using Recovery Console... A command prompt with limited abilities.

OK, so, I followed one of the tutorials that someone linked to here, and it said to delete the boot.ini file in the C:\ directory, using the recovery console btw, and then use the command: "BootCfg /Rebuild" to rebuild the boot.ini file. I did this, but after It detected The Windows Installation, It said to type in the "Load Identifier" so I typed "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" then it asked for boot options. I opened the boot.ini file of this computer im currently on, and it said "/fastdetect" so I put that in, but it says "failed to add to the boot list." Lemme go take a pic for ya. brb.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited July 2005
    OK! Thought I'd mention incase someone missed it

Sorry for butting in. I've never installed XP Pro before :o
    edited July 2005
    OK, so, I followed one of the tutorials that someone linked to here, and it said to delete the boot.ini file in the C:\ directory, using the recovery console btw, and then use the command: "BootCfg /Rebuild" to rebuild the boot.ini file. I did this, but after It detected The Windows Installation, It said to type in the "Load Identifier" so I typed "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" then it asked for boot options. I opened the boot.ini file of this computer im currently on, and it said "/fastdetect" so I put that in, but it says "failed to add to the boot list." Lemme go take a pic for ya. brb.
    it sounds like you're getting somewhere.. let me look that up some more
    edited July 2005
    Here is the screen:

29-AUT_0913.JPG

Here is the tutorial I am talking about: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#warning2
    edited July 2005
    OK! Thought I'd mention incase someone missed it

Sorry for butting in. I've never installed XP Pro before :o

ahaha, lol, s'ok. I've only done it once or two, but they were clean installs, not repairs.
    edited July 2005
    ok so you did "attrib -h -r -s C:\boot.ini del C:\boot.ini" before "bootcfg /rebuild", right?

also when it said "Add installation to boot list?" shouldn't you have typed Yes, No, or ALL?
    edited July 2005
    ok so you did "attrib -h -r -s C:\boot.ini del C:\boot.ini" before "bootcfg /rebuild", right?

also when it said "Add installation to boot list?" shouldn't you have typed Yes, No, or ALL?

When I tried attrib ... it came up with an error, so I copyed boot.ini to the C:\ drive as boot.bak, just in case, then I deleted boot.ini, and rebuild, should I have done the attrib commands? does that make a difference?

Oh, add installation thing, i was in a hurry, lemme go try again. brb. P.S. thanks to every for your help!
    edited July 2005
    Nope, saying "Yes" or "All" didn't make a difference. Do you know a link to microsoft for this kind of issue? Just wonderin'
    edited July 2005
    When I tried attrib ... it came up with an error, so I copyed boot.ini to the C:\ drive as boot.bak, just in case, then I deleted boot.ini, and rebuild, should I have done the attrib commands? does that make a difference?

Oh, add installation thing, i was in a hurry, lemme go try again. brb. P.S. thanks to every for your help!

I mean, I deleted the boot.ini file, just w/o changing the attributes.
    edited July 2005
    uh-oh, i just found out that I didn't back up the boot.ini file. :bawling: lemme copy the boot.ini file form this cpu to that one. brb.